Surface mount rewire query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm hoping the professionals on here can help me out on a query. I've got an elderly Chinese couple living near me who needs their 1940's, four bedroom detached house fully rewired. They're still using the original wiring.

Having lived there for over 25 years they accumulated alot of things. I suppose to make things easier for them and the electrician, surface mounting would probably be easier. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that there would be much difference cost wise in buying all the conduit/trunking and spending time chasing the walls out, etc. The couple has been told by someone that if they go for the surface mount route, it may/would invalid the house insurance. Have any of your guys ever heard this? I've spoken to the electrician and he's never heard of such thing having been in the game for 16 years.

Any info and advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated, so that I can reassure the couple.
Thanks in advance.

mr_vampy

Sponsored Links
The electrician may be abel to fish the new cable down the exisiting chases if they are run in capping or conduit.
Any chance of some pics of the 1940s installation ??

Thanks to you both for the info. I'm acting as a translator at the moment because the couple's English is very limited. Anyway, I phoned up their insurance company early this evening to ask, and they said as long as the electrician doing the work was registered and able to issue the necessary certificates then it will be fine whether the cables were buried or surface mounted. So where this person got the idea that if the wiring is surface mounted will void the insurance idea from, I don't know.

I will see if I can call round to take some photos of the installation and will report back on here.

Thanks again for the info.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the guy just doesn't like surface wiring, and is saying all he can to disuade. (is that a word :LOL: )

There is nothing at all wrong with rewiring using surface fittings and trunking. It is often done for flats and things like that. If you can drop down chases etc, then all the better......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back