Surface Mounting Cable In Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting quotes for a complete rewire and have got some very different answers to questions from different electricians, so I'll be ask a few questions here over the next few days.

The consumer unit is mounted on the cellar wall. Is it okay to route the cables for upstairs up the wall a short distance, then along the wall just below the ceiling level to the staircase then just below the staircase between ground and first floor up to the first floor. Obviously one staircase is drectly above the other.

One says thats okay and that its up to me whether or not to use trunking, since the cable would be well out the way at just below ceiling level. Another wants to take a different route concealed in the the walls of the ground floor, which is a lot more expensive and disruptive and involve ripping up old lino tiles in the kitchen to get at the floorboards.

Is the surface mounting okay? If so is trunking a good idea? As a matter of interest can you get trunking large enough for a ring circuit (2*2.5mm2) and two lighting citcuits (2*1.5mm2)?

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit is mounted on the cellar wall. Is it okay to route the cables for upstairs up the wall a short distance, then along the wall just below the ceiling level to the staircase then just below the staircase between ground and first floor up to the first floor. Obviously one staircase is drectly above the other.

You'd have to be more specific, this information should help you understand where you should and should not run unprotected cables:

Safe Zones

Personally, I would try to avoid using the 150mm safe zone that exists in internal corners if at all possible - after all, there's plenty of things someone might want to mount in the corner of a room that could lead to accidental damage of the wiring.

One says thats okay and that its up to me whether or not to use trunking, since the cable would be well out the way at just below ceiling level. Another wants to take a different route concealed in the the walls of the ground floor, which is a lot more expensive and disruptive and involve ripping up old lino tiles in the kitchen to get at the floorboards.

Without seeing the job we cannot say who is correct.

Is the surface mounting okay? If so is trunking a good idea? As a matter of interest can you get trunking large enough for a ring circuit (2*2.5mm2) and two lighting citcuits (2*1.5mm2)?

If you aren't too aesthetically-minded then trunking will be fine and can be run more or less wherever you want. It comes in many sizes and will have no problem with containing the circuits you mention.

On a rewire 99% would expect 'no see' cabling and sunk box fittings.

Surface is unacceptable to the majority and if you want to add value design the cabling system in such away that the cables are chased in to walls or boxed in so that post decorating the building has clean lines and no cabling showing.

As you know a rewire is likely to warrant plastering and redecoration works, as well as the need to lift floors for access. Unless you want a pigs ear instal you need to accept that for a contractor to do the job in the best way damage to walls and building fabric will happen.

If the cellar isn't too posh, you might consider ripping down the ceiling. You could then insulate the ground floor, reposition radiators, etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Surface mount and trunk fitted as you describe is acceptable electrically. As Chri5 suggests you will have to consider physical protection of the wiring in places, given that accidental damage could be more likely to surface-mounted. Whether surface clipping and trunking is aesthetically acceptable is another matter.

PJ

Agree that surface and trunking is acceptable BUT if your are going to the expense of a rewire the cut and chase (hidden wires) will be a much better option. It will look better and more professional which will impact on your resale value if you ever decide to sell.

Ever stayed anywhere where they have run wires in view on the wall. Be honest what was your first thought when you saw them. Or is it just me :)

You'd have to be more specific, this information should help you understand where you should and should not run unprotected cables:
Safe Zones

Thanks for that, I'm aware of safe zones, but don't they refer to cable concealed in walls? Thats what the first line of your link says. As the title says these cables would be surface mounted on the cellar wall, which I should have said is bare, no plaster. Anyway the runs would be vertical up from the consumer unit then within 6in of the ceiling (even if the "ceiling" runs diagonally underneath the upper staircase!)

If you aren't too aesthetically-minded then trunking will be fine and can be run more or less wherever you want. It comes in many sizes and will have no problem with containing the circuits you mention.

Again I should have said that this is a cellar used only for storage and visited perhaps weekly. I don't care a damn about aesthetics here, But the question is is the surface mounting okay and if so is trunking required if mechanical damage is unlikely?

On a rewire 99% would expect 'no see' cabling and sunk box fittings. Surface is unacceptable to the majority and if you want to add value design the cabling system in such away that the cables are chased in to walls or boxed in so that post decorating the building has clean lines and no cabling showing.

Well yes, in the rest of the house I've specified concealed cabling and sunk box fittings. But I very much got the impression that the electrician quoting for this solution was keen to as you put it to "add value" when it was required by neither the regs nor me , thats why his quote was 50% higher!

Since my question has obviously confused people, has anything changed in the four years since this thread.

[//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43011

i,e is clipping to walls still okay and no requirement for trunking if mechanical damage is unlikely.

Oh, in that case go ahead and clip direct. It's not a problem. I thought you were suggesting it was going to be a furnished room.

Gosh sorry for the confusion, I've never considered cellars to be habitable rooms. I guess from the replies that a lot of people do. I'll try to phrase any further questions more accurately. This cellar certainly isn't habitable being windowless (there's a coal chute), and being only half the width of the house with a structural wall bisecting it, its really a U shaped corridor (S-shaped if you include the staircase down!)

I've done many such installs and below stairs dos'nt really matter. what doe's is the visible content of the re-wire, so would reccomend cut and chase above stairs.

I'm getting quotes for a complete rewire and have got some very different answers to questions from different electricians, so I'll be ask a few questions here over the next few days.

The bit in bold is what threw me it reads as though the wiring goes to the whole house not just the basement. :confused: If its in the basement as you say doesntr really matter how it looks and clipped direct or in trunking is fine.

My guess is the spark has looked at the walls and though "hard bricks, weak mortar, it'll be easier and quicker to screw some trunking up for all the cables rather than mince about trying to clip onto this wall"

Trunking look a bit neater than clipped direct imo, especially if you decide to white wash the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back