Extending ring final from recessed socket to surface mounted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,

A friend of mine would like me to extend the ring final circuit in a bedroom to add a couple of extra sockets, not a problem :) however i do have a practical query - the socket i am to extend from is flush mounted, however they dont want me to chase out the wall (they dont want to make good!) to extend the circuit, so my solution was to run the cable in trunking and use a surface mounted socket at the new socket location.

My initial thought was to drill at an angle into the recessed back box so i can get the cable out through the wall and the trunking would cover the hole. Is that what you guys would do or is there a better solution/method?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, a couple of extra sockets?
Are you extending the ring final, or adding a spur for one socket, and then spurring oiff that for the second socket?
also
Is this circuit protected by a 30mA RCD?

For the RCD protection, i havent looked yet, i would expect it to be there as it is a relatively modern house, but not ruling anything out - especiality as the internal walls are all brick, so it can’t be that modern!

I wont be spurring, i will extend the ring as the sockets are going near a desk, so i can imagine a need for a couple of double sockets there

I wont be spurring, i will extend the ring as the sockets are going near a desk, so i can imagine a need for a couple of double sockets there
OK, so you'll need to have two (2.5mm² twin & earth) cables exiting the socket into your trunking. Will look lovely!

Back to your original.
My initial thought was to drill at an angle into the recessed back box so i can get the cable out through the wall and the trunking would cover the hole. Is that what you guys would do or is there a better solution/method?
That's one way, but its two cables, as above. Personally, I wouldnt damage the wall, just run a length of flexible cabl to the new socket(s) and bang a 13A plug on to the cable and plug it to the bedside socket. Like a long extension lead.
Then, if they move the desk/have to move house then its an easy job to put back.

Sponsored Links
Ahhh ok yes, thats an option, i see what you mean - thanks

HI all,

A friend of mine would like me to extend the ring final circuit in a bedroom to add a couple of extra sockets, not a problem :) however i do have a practical query - the socket i am to extend from is flush mounted, however they dont want me to chase out the wall (they dont want to make good!) to extend the circuit, so my solution was to run the cable in trunking and use a surface mounted socket at the new socket location.

Yes. that's what usually happens (if the wall is solid and not plasterboard).

Though to access the knockout, it's more usual to chip the plaster away with a hammer and screwdriver!

The other alternative is to fit a surface mounted box over the flush box.

Would you fill the flush box with expanding foam or something similar?

Are there any sockets on the rear of the wall , can be simpler to drill thru wall from existing socket behind Where you want additional.

Yup i checked that, unfortunately not, i havent checked the floorboard situation, but i dont think i would go there as that is as much effort and making good as just chasing the wall out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back