House shaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a well earned lie in the other week I noticed the bed shake as a vehicle went past outside. I have noticed this again and so his my missus.

She thinks it happens when heavy vehicles such as buses go past, which explains why it doesn't happen all the time when normal cars use the road.

So we basically think that the heavy vehicles are causing a tremor which is shaking the house. I've had a look at the road and there is a pothole which is most likely causing the wheels, and thus the vehicle weight, to drop, causing a pressure wave which then travels through the ground and into the foundations of the house, resulting in the place shaking.

Unfortunately I have no record if when this started, but the key question is - is this likely to be causing any kind of structural damage to the property? Being pessimistic, I have perceptions of the front wall collapsing.

I assume the the council have responsibility for the road and it's condition, so will be ringing them up later for a discussion. Let's see what value a grand+ a year in council tax gets me!

Any advice & commments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It shouldnt be a problem. In the middle of our street, there are 2 inspection covers. Whenever a coach or lorry or bus or 4x4 drives over it, things rattle in my bedroom. Ask your neighbours, they probably experience the same as you.

I should add, our house is still standing after 70 years of this, and was badly built in the first place ;)

A lot of the time it is resonance from the diesel engines which causes the srtucture to vibrate (resonate) through the air, and not vibrations through the ground.

The structure will tolerate this without any problems

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back