house sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi peeps,

i need to create some more sockets in my house but with minimal amount of disruption, my question is this

can i come off 1 ring main socket with 4mm twin/earth and supply 3 sockets. using the fact that 4mm can cope with the same current as the ring main. I realise that spur off a spur is a big no no, but i hope the 4mm cable can overcome this and stay within regs.

Sponsored Links
snoopdogno.gif

My understanding is that you can fit a fused connection unit with a 13A fuse on the spur and have an unlimited number of sockets supplied by that box.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that you can fit a fused connection unit with a 13A fuse on the spur and have an unlimited number of sockets supplied by that box.

You can, but the total load limit of the spurs is 13A. At 13A the wire can be 2.5mm TE

It's considered a bodge, since there are immediate design / load limitations. The OP suggested 4 x sockets or 8 plug in positions, if all used which gives 3.25A per double socket or about 800w of load.

A hoover needs 1500w, a drill 900w, an iron 2500w, a fan heater 1500w....

Better to break the ring and add the sockets in as part of the ring circuit.

Are you planning on extending the area serviced by the existing supply or just to add extra sockets within the existing room?

Only the OP will know what the perceived load will be. All we know is that he wants to fit 3 sockets to one spur. Our only advice is that he cannot exceed 13A (with 2.5mm cable as a recognised minimum), ie 3Kw, for a prolonged period on that spur. His decision.

ok... thanks for the replies...... especially the two first ones they where a great help.

the sockets are to be used in an existing living room, an extra behind tv one in the other corner and probably another in the porch.

it seems that this option is a non starter. so i have another option........

can i break the ring in one socket use a connector block in the back box, yes i would need a deeper back box. to take the ring away and come back to the socket with the other end. basically what i am asking is can i use a connector block (chock block obvoiusly 30 amp) in the back box or is there anything else on the market to do the job.

Yes you can. If you use insulated crimps, you'll have a lot more room and won't need a deep box.

ok... thanks for the replies...... especially the two first ones they where a great help.
can i come off 1 ring main socket with 4mm twin/earth and supply 3 sockets. using the fact that 4mm can cope with the same current as the ring main. I realise that spur off a spur is a big no no, but i hope the 4mm cable can overcome this and stay within regs.
And you go two perfectly correct and unambiguous replies of "no" - what's wrong with that?

the sockets are to be used in an existing living room, an extra behind tv one in the other corner and probably another in the porch.
Any chance that the latter might get wet?

basically what i am asking is can i use a connector block (chock block obvoiusly 30 amp) in the back box or is there anything else on the market to do the job.
If you crimp, as sparkyspike suggested, note that you'll need one of these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Assuming you've got regular accessories, not flat-plate ones which tend to be larger, then another plan would be to replace the socket with two singles in a dual box, then you can run the extension to the ring away from one and back to the other - no joints required.

thanks for all the ideas,
i think i am gonna stick with the crimping idea,

yes i do have the correct tools, i am a maintenance engineer not a basic diyer so i am sure i will have no problems but thanks again for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back