Mixing Cable Sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to move a socket in my kitchen which is a spur off the ring main .
I bought some 2.5 t+e cable , but on closer inspection , the existing cable used is 4mm . Would I be o.k. to use the 2.5 (I need some of it elsewhere) , or should I get some 4mm .
Its just for general use on small appliences ect .

Sponsored Links
I bought some 2.5 t+e cable , but on closer inspection , the existing cable used is 4mm.
Are you sure it's a ring final?

What size is the ring cabled in?

Has 4mm² been used because of circuit length, or because of the installation method resulting in a low current carrying capacity?

I would always use the same size conductor as the existing, when extending a circuit.
The only time I would consider using a smaller CSA, if discrimination was being offered to that part of the circuit via a fused con unit.

Sponsored Links
I would always use the same size conductor as the existing, when extending a circuit.
The only time I would consider using a smaller CSA, if discrimination was being offered to that part of the circuit via a fused con unit.
That's a good general principle, but it creates some inconsitencies with common practice when it comes to spurs. Even running an unfused spur in 2.5mm² cable from a 2.5mm² RFC is not really 'same size conductor', since the effective CSA of the two ring cables is much more than 2.5mm² at many points in the ring. More straightforwardly, Appendix 15 of the regs (not unreasonably) explicitly allows a 2.5mm² unfused spur off a 4mm² radial circuit.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back