Oven cable sizing (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a search but just want to clarify something.

I have a 2.8kw single oven (gas hob) - there is an existing 4mm cooker circuit which I plan to reuse (on a 32amp breaker atm).
Can I run the 4mm to a fcu and then a smaller size cable to feed the cooker (2.5)? Or does the outgoing cable need to be the same size (4mm)?
Other option is to add it into the existing ring I guess.......

What's the best practice here?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
yeah using the 4.0mm² to feed an FCU is fine, providing the FCU will remain accesible for emergency isolation etc.

yeah using the 4.0mm² to feed an FCU is fine, providing the FCU will remain accesible for emergency isolation etc.

So using a smaller cable from the FCU is ok? Was thinking of locating in a cupboard - maybe not ideal but would be accessible......

Sponsored Links
So you can run the 4mm to the FCU.
The fuse in the FCU will be what? 13amp.???
If so then 13A will be the max current that can flow down the smaller cable so you could use 1.5mm from the load side of the FCU to your cooker.
There will be a limit on the length of 1.5mm you could use due to volt drop considerations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back