House supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cables supplying my house are fixed to the external wall. They run across the back wall and feed another three houses. I'm having an extension built and have heard two conflicting storeys.
I was led to believe that they could be built over (within the extension roof cavity).
I've since been told this is not the case and have to pay YEDL £335 to come and re-route them.
I heard another little whisper that the supply should have been underground many years ago and I should not be charged for them to be moved?

Thanks v much in advance for any assistance

Sponsored Links
Sounds like my set up is the same as yours, Just had sec round to extend the incomming supply cables around my extension & on to my neighbours house. Was told by the 3 guys that did the work that the cables have to be external to the house.
The cost was £211 & while the guy's were there they fitted an isolation switch between the meter & fuse box for the price of a few cups of tea (gas hob).

I was led to believe that they could be built over (within the extension roof cavity).
This would lead to the possibility that they get covered with insulation. The design of these supply cables is such that they need to be well ventilated.

I've since been told this is not the case and have to pay YEDL £335 to come and re-route them.
Most likely, though not sure about the cost, and i believe YEDL may sub-contract work (they are our REC and next door had their supply cables moved last year and it was not YEDL)

I heard another little whisper that the supply should have been underground many years ago and I should not be charged for them to be moved?
No. Again, YEDL came and moved the supply cables underground on our front street a few years back, but the branches from the street still feed 4-5 houses (like your arrangement) and are above ground from the first house on the chain.

Crafty, the cables will definitely not be in any insulation.
They would pass through approx 500mm from apex for no more than 1000mm. Would this be Ok?

Sponsored Links
Nordberg said:
Would this be Ok?

Its up to your REC. Get in touch with them and tell them what you're planning. I dont think the fee will be as much as what you were told, but you almost certainly will be charged for this work if they need moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back