House Survey - The roof is not adequately wind braced and strapped ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could I ask for some advice please. A relative is just purchasing their first house (3 bed semi built 1985) and the Home Buyer report includes a section about the roof space.

The roof is not adequately wind braced and strapped.
The roof space is not insulated to modern standards and is also poorly ventilated

This issue has been rated as a 2 (Defects that need repairing or replacing but are not considered to be either serious or urgent. The property must be maintained in the normal way)

I just wondered if this is something to be concerned about. The property would appear to have been like this since it was built in 1985 and the survey states that the roof itself is fine. If this is something that needs fixing then does it sound like it would be expensive?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
The roof structure is probably fine, however a mortgage company may ask for remedial work to be done, which may need the services of a structural engineer + Tradesmen. If they are fortunate enough to be cash buyers then they may just not bother with it as its been ok for the years till now, however if a storm like last weeks Doris pays a visit and damages it (even though it may be nothing to do with the bracing) then your insurance company may assess the same as your survey and state that it was not adequately braced, strapped and not honour the claim.

The roof structure is probably fine, however a mortgage company may ask for remedial work to be done, which may need the services of a structural engineer + Tradesmen. If they are fortunate enough to be cash buyers then they may just not bother with it as its been ok for the years till now, however if a storm like last weeks Doris pays a visit and damages it (even though it may be nothing to do with the bracing) then your insurance company may assess the same as your survey and state that it was not adequately braced, strapped and not honour the claim.

Thanks for coming back. The mortgage company have offered the mortgage. I wonder if this is something that is expensive to sort out, whether we need to get a structural engineer to look at this before continuing with the purchase. Thanks

I would tend not to worry to much. the reason I mentioned structural engineer is that in this world of proffesional indemnity, a tradesman cannot make a judgement on these matters.

Seeings that you have been offered the mortgage, its obviously been tracked across by there team.

If you are really concerned I would google some roof structure bracing diagrams/images, it should be obvious what is potentially missing from your roof, and then possibly introduce timber to suit (assuming you can get the lengths required into your loft.

Sponsored Links
You won't need a structural engineer. Instead, spend your money on some 4x1 timber and some screws. Diagrams on the net, or use a builder.

Many times though, "not adequately braced" should be read as "I don't really know what I should be looking for".

The lack of diagonal bracing on a trussed rafter roof seems to come up quite often in surveys on older properties. Originally they didn't have it, but later regs required 4x1 double nailed to every rafter.
Some of the ones without it did suffer from wind racking, but one that's been up for 30 plus years has stood the test of time and should be fine.
Mr Howell was asked this a few years ago in 'on the level' and replied that diagonal bracing was only a temporary fix till the tiles went on, so it shows the level of his 'advice'.
As stated above if he did want the bracing it's an easy fix.

Could you post some pictures? I'm sure then there would be better infrmed comments forthcoming.

Thanks for all the replies and info. I have now spoken to the surveyor who carried out the survey and he advised that this is not a major issue but one which had to be noted. He advised to get a local builder to sort it out after the house purchase is complete and suggested it would cost £200-£300. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back