Replacing timber bracing on attic trusses with straps ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to maintain maximum ceiling height for bedrooms in roof space and need to insulate under rafters.

If we could get rid of diagonal bracing members measuring 25x100x1000, could we replace these with heavy duty steel straps 5mm thick x 30mm x various lengths.

It would make it much easier to fit insulated plasterboard under the eaves without these great lumbs of wood everywhere.

We are currently in discussion with BCO about this.

Strength wise, would one strap be equivalent to one brace member? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt advise it if the bracing is on back of uprights and rafters in eaves this is for stability so unless you have ply on the sceling (sloping section) of the roof i would not touch
attic truss have minimal bracing at the best
if you havnt got ply which it should you could insulate between trusses then ply and insulate over ply you could then change bracing to eaves
just dont go ripping bracing out

also if you insulate between and over uprights no need to insulate in the eaves other than the cieling

The requirement is a 100mm timber and two nails. That's what all the truss makers specify and the BS standards state. If you want anything different you would normally be expected to get an engineer to calculate it or the truss maker to specify.

Timber has strength in tension and compression. A strap has strength in tension only.
You would need to back up the straps with A timber nogging to stop it being able to flex.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all replies. I think we will probably stick with the timber bracing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back