House to house Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours and I have a signifigant problem with noise.The house's are private and built during the housing boom. About 10 years old and would have been selling for about 350k. There is it appears a large foundation that the house is built on. It's inaccessible of course but would be a quite high of the ground.

Problem:
Our house walls are likely thin in some areas, they are .75 meters thick in others parts. We both have wooden floors. I can hear my neighbour walk across the living room floor ( wooden). I can hear actually each thud of each footstep ( hard soles only) as the person walks across the floor and if they were to drop a marble on the floor i could hear it very sharply next door.

I wonder if the foundation is in some way amplifies the sound of the footsteps. I must add that my neighbour can hear my Tv when it is on a relatively mid- high volume.

Any ideas on what the cause of the problem is.
How would i fix this problem and who is responsible for fixing such a problem, myself or my neighbour and do we both have to live more quietly as a result. Would this be nuisance noise as per regulations.

Thanks for any help....
regards

Serpico1

Sponsored Links
If they were built 10 years ago then Part E of the BR would not even have been in force.

It cannot be anyone's responsibility as there is technically nothing wrong for when it was built. You could speak to a builder about internal sound insulation although this might reduce your internal floor area. It's also not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back