House Ventilation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the last 6 months we have purchased a house we have been renovating and have had nothing but issues :).

The latest is heating and keeping it warm we have had all new central heating installed which does get the house warm but it soon loses its heat. I think this is related to the fact that when its windy you can feel the wind inside!

The front of the house has vents and I am certain this is where the draft if coming from, can I block these up and replaced with smaller ventilation elsewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

IMG_3444.jpg
IMG_3445.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can do but personally I would reassure myself that is the source of your problem.

I would temporarily cover them with a white fablon to block the air flow. See if this makes any difference and then you can decide how to tackle it long term.

Have you inspected the insulation in the loft, do you have cavity wall? For heat retention.

If it is down to drafts have you also inspected the roof voids where the air will pass into?

Sponsored Links
A quick easy way to check of drafts is on a windy day use an incense stick around the windows and doors and check the smoke flow. At the top of the window inside is that a upvc strip running along the ceiling. Most times this is used by fitter to hide big gaps they couldn't be bothered filling. Also check you got the right depth of insulation in the loft. Blocking vents can lead to condensation build up so be wary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back