House wall issue with possible subsidence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 1930-built house.

Over the past couple of months, I've noticed that the bottom few courses of the brickwork (outside) in one corner, and extending a little under a metre from the corner, have come loose with morter cracking (I had that side of the house repointed 10 years ago) - it looks like it has started to sink a little. Definitely some movement.

I have attached a couple of pictures.

IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG

(I did have an issue a couple of years ago with the gutter in the corner overflowing badly in any rain - the guttering was all replaced in the summer of 2019 so that is no longer a problem, but I guess it could be a factor in this if the ground had become repeatedly saturated....)

I don't think it's a failure of the mortar between the bricks, but may well be some subsidence in the foundations in that corner. I don't know if it's simply a case of removing the bricks and rebuilding with fresh mortar, or whether the foundations in that part need some fortification first.
There is no sign of the internal wall having been disturbed - it is wallpapered,
but the plaster behind it is quite old.

My question is.. what is the best way to go about sorting this out? I need some decent advice but want to minimise the risk of getting royally ripped off by a builder smelling an easy scammy payday.

Am I better off getting a building expert in to look at it first, or would that be going over the top and it would be better to get a few opinions from e.g. Check-A-Trade accredited builder/property maintenance persons?

I don't know if my home insurance would cover it.. it does cover subsidence but not "from/caused by a leaking water pipe..."

Thanks in anticipation....

Sponsored Links
First of all, mortar should be raked out an inch deep before repointing, so probably contributed for the mortar not lasting as long.

You could ask and pay for a structural engineer to have a look for advice. If he/she thinks it needs underpinned, then that doesn't come cheap.

As for Check-a-Trade. I never advertise anywhere, word of mouth keeps me too busy. There's a reason why people need to advertise!

catfunt, good evening.

First, are there any cracks in the roughcast render above this brickwork?? if not then that could? be an indication that this is not Subsidence?

Do not under any circumstances at all, at all go anywhere near "Check-A-Trade accredited builder/property maintenance persons?" go by word of mouth and recommendations from friends and neighbours.

As Bonni above rake out and re-point the leaky gutter has probably caused this.

Final "bit" if you look at the bottom course of brick in the images posted, there does not appear to be any distress to this course, again this can be indicative of Subsidence or not??

Finally, the existing pointing appears poor, almost as if someone has used their fingers?

Ken.

It's not clear if the brickwork has dropped or if one elevation has shifted outwards. Or is that just a poor previous repair?

Is it cracked internally in the same place?

You need to remedy the cause, not the just the symptom.

Sponsored Links
catfunt, good evening.

First, are there any cracks in the roughcast render above this brickwork?? if not then that could? be an indication that this is not Subsidence?

Do not under any circumstances at all, at all go anywhere near "Check-A-Trade accredited builder/property maintenance persons?" go by word of mouth and recommendations from friends and neighbours.

As Bonni above rake out and re-point the leaky gutter has probably caused this.

Final "bit" if you look at the bottom course of brick in the images posted, there does not appear to be any distress to this course, again this can be indicative of Subsidence or not??

Finally, the existing pointing appears poor, almost as if someone has used their fingers?

Ken.

The lower bricks have definitely moved by a small amount. It seems to start on the right hand side of the airbrick and a gap starting to appear diagonally up and to the left following the mortar. No sign of cracks in the render above.
You have a point about the repointing. the whole of that wall to the left of the corner was repointed but it's only where the bricks have moved that it is cracking and falling away. Have they used concrete instead of mortar?

I have had a couple of comments about not going near Check-A-Trade people. I have used them for a number of things over the years.. for my guttering, boiler maintenance and replacement, replacing my windows. I can understand why some think that they are advertising there for a reason, but it's also a risk getting a cowboy through word of mouth....

It's not clear if the brickwork has dropped or if one elevation has shifted outwards. Or is that just a poor previous repair?

Is it cracked internally in the same place?

You need to remedy the cause, not the just the symptom.

No sign of any cracking or anything loose behind the wallpaper in that corner.
I totally agree about finding and remedying the cause... it's why I am pondering getting in a structural expert in first.

I think I will have a chat with my insurance company. At the very least, they might be able to point me in a helpful direction even if they don't cover the repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back