Houses have only one mains feed don't they?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Have pro starting tomorrow to do a bathroom for me.
I need to get rid of the old one - am demolishing right now - have taken off rad etc. making good progress.

Am just about to turn off water to put stop ends on feeds for bathroom, found stopcock - its completely siezed have tried lubricating and a bit of force but no good - prob need a new one.
So I just went outside and turned off at the mains.

Downstairs taps - all off immediately i.e. no pressure.
Upstairs taps - still operating at apparent mains pressure - Am stumped!
Have left taps running for 5 mins but still going strong at mains pressure! Its a 5 bed which has been extended but -
There should only one mains feed - Shirley?

Sponsored Links
It is possible to have more than one mains supply (can think of three on my books without trying.

Whether they are legal or not is another matter.

And don't call me Shirley.

is it possible you have a cold water storage tank in loft feeding cylinder and cold feeds in bathrooms seems more likely than multiple cold mains
peekay53

:)

Many thanks - will turn off water outside, turn taps on and leave for much longer, and this time examine tank in loft. I thought this was only for the hot water - but then I'm far more on the newb side than expert. Now if the tank in the loft has an isolating valve...............

Have just been kicking around outside looking for another mains point - D'Oh.

Budgerigars
H

Sponsored Links
great - am still getting used to this new place.

A quick nose around in the loft with a torch has found the tank with 3 stop cocks (for 3 upstairs bathrooms) a bit of experimentation later have managed to isolate this bathrooms cold water feed and can pout mains back on! Many thanks guys - it was the pressure the water was coming out even with mains off that threw me. Tank is big and up high in rafters to feed all the upstairs bathrooms with as much pressure as poss.

this measn I could take out the loo and cap off the cold feed to the sink.

Now to isolate the hot water.
This proved more tricky.
Bugger it, have run out of time - need to put daughter to bed and can't bang crash around any more. Am going ot have to pay attention when pro comes over tomorrow.

Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back