How about some information on racism in the UK?

Such an important time in my life; if I'm going to spend time studying something then Black history is not one thats near the top. Sounds mean but Ive still got lots to learn in life.

Yep study something useful

Sponsored Links
Latin and Ancient Greek will get you to the top, especially if you only get a second-class degree.

What's the point of studying Latin or ancient Greek?

Bit like learning Welsh don't see the point of that that either

Sponsored Links
I loved History at school; learning about The stone age, ancient Greece, the Vikings, the romans and then the Normans. My regret was I never did I learn about the 1st and 2nd world wars.

This should have been the first thing we learned.

There is so much I would love to know but I don't. Whats your knowledge on the subject, will you brush up with Stephens information

History is very interesting, it's probably my favourite subject. The history of history is also interesting; i.e. what history is fashionable at a given moment in time. Children at school now are taught mainly about the Nazis, the Suffragettes, slavery, how evil the Tories are etc etc. Boring! At school we got the Romans, 1066, Bayeux, the Wars of the Roses, lots of medieval blood and guts, the cavaliers and the roundheads, Napoleon etc etc. Endless fun but it was all taught with the intention of showing how Britain became the greatest and most civilised of all nations! How things change.

In other news, Frank Bough died today. The BBC sacked him when he was found to be a drug-taker and to have had sex with prostitutes. If this had happened nowadays, he would be made BBC head of policy. How things change!

What's the point of studying Latin or ancient Greek?

Bit like learning Welsh don't see the point of that that either

It didn't equip Doris to do any useful job, so he had to potter into being a low-grade entertainer, and later became Prime Minuster,, because he was not fit to do anything else

He was not honest enough to keep his job at the Times

But his dishonesty was welcomed at the Telegraph

He lied to get the job of editor of the Spectator

And was sacked again in 2004 for lying to the leader of the Conservative party

He lied to get the job of London Mayor but was not sacked for it

He lied repeatedly during the Brexit campaign but there is no penalty for this

As Prime Minister, he lied to Parliament, the citizens and to the Queen.

For many jobs, he would be considered unsuitable.

History is very interesting, it's probably my favourite subject. The history of history is also interesting; i.e. what history is fashionable at a given moment in time. Children at school now are taught mainly about the Nazis, the Suffragettes, slavery, how evil the Tories are etc etc. Boring! At school we got the Romans, 1066, Bayeux, the Wars of the Roses, lots of medieval blood and guts, the cavaliers and the roundheads, Napoleon etc etc. Endless fun but it was all taught with the intention of showing how Britain became the greatest and most civilised of all nations! How things change.
Children are still taught about the Romans etc, as well as suffragettes, world wars, parliament... they still get to enjoy their blood and guts!

I read that one reason public schoolboys learn Latin is to impress the oiks.
If you get stuck in a corner just quote something in Latin and people will think you must be really clever.
Same goes for the public school accent, you can be as thick as a plank but you will always get a job.

So little time to learn so much, unless you go into sixth form. Black history is part of our History it cannot be ignored and I think our schools needed to of blended it in years ago. The problem is its so vast. Slavery will date back to day dot up until now.
Its not just about Britain. we played a massive part good and bad.

The reason why the Dutch have so many good footballers like Frank Rijkaard, Ruud Gulit, Virgil Van Dijk. is because of the Dutch colonized
Suriname, this small country was a major part of the Dutch slave trade. Not to mention Brazil, the Portuguese and Pele.

Lots of big financial institutions that exist today with slave money, should pay back into the system in eradicating modern day slavery, because for me this is the only way we can learn from the evil in all of our History. It will never put things right but we can never do that, History is History, we can only do good now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised at first, then was persuaded that a more useful definition of racism is specifically about the way that people are treated rather than what people feel, believe or have views about regarding different people. Sivanandan usefully (I think) points out that what causes harm is behaviour.
I would argue that the whole white obsession with the question/worry about "whether or not I'm racist" is a distraction from understanding and addressing the ways in which racism (behaviour of organizations and individuals) in the UK shortens people's lives etc .
Stephen, please forgive me for extracting some of your comments from your whole post.
I've done so because I think your comments perfectly summarises an excellent response to the theme running through many of these posts.
I think they deserve to be repeated.

Just to be clear - I'm not attached to anyone reading the data, and I am interested in other sources of info other people on here might have, but it did seem crazy not to make it available here, given the interest in the subject on the forum.
Sadly the interest in this subject on here is driven by avoiding facts not learning about them.

Sponsored Links
Back