How are you dealing with the new Part L requirement ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Programmable TRV's, or doubling up on pipework and labour and extra stats and
MOT valves, or will certain hit and run installers ignore as always and we end up no job, as to do it right will put our quotes up to high ?

Sponsored Links
Programmable TRV's is the cheapest option and easiest solution, for me it would depend on the type of house and the budget, if it could sustain it I would go for double flow, zone valves and room stats.
I doubt that this will increase the efficiency of a system by much and I doubt everyone will bother, some are probably not even aware of the change.

Hi, I wasn't aware of the changes, what are the new rules for Part L? And what is an MOT valve?

Thanks

im not sure if programmable trv's cut it as there's no interlock, you'd need to then fit a flow switch linked to the boiler . Personally I don't bother with it as no one else is(including BG etc) and you need to compete on a level playing field at the end of the day. Additionally these dumb people who make these stupid rules havent a clue how systems can operate more efficiently.

Sponsored Links
Who cares? The whole part L is a load of nonsense as it all depends on whether or not people ( know how to ) use the controls.
Most people I come across either don't know or don't care. Timers on continuous and the roomstat used to turn on and off by turning it full left or right is not uncommon. TRV's set to maximum or off is probably standard, as are steamers with a return temperature of 70C, houses with enormous draft or heatloss, and unrealistically high room temperatures.

If part L was half serious about energy saving they would force us all to use load compensation controls as they do in Holland...

i agree with alec, i use load comp, weather comp, open comp and any other sort of comp i can lay my hands on. keep up loosers.

I agree with all comments, but thing is now solicitors acting for punters with house sales are getting a bit clever, problem will be when someone a bit clever either comes to sell or buys a house not complying with part L and you will find yourself sorting out an installation at your own cost further down the line, as it will have your name all over the Benchmark where "you" ticked all the box's signed it saying it complied with current Building Regs, with the "date" all over it.

just write 'customer declined' on the benchmark, get them to sign it.

Do they know what they are declining, were you misold a pension, did your bank overcharghe blah blah blah, signature means nothing, they no comprehendy........

you cant be held accountable for something a customer refuses to pay for. its a load of old *******s really, if you work on new build you have a spec to work from and price accordingly, if youre working for public you have to work within the spec and budget they are setting out. you cant force them to pay for something only you are telling them they must have, work round it and cover your behind as much as you can or let someone else do it i suppose.

Crikey, Alec, is there anything else in your life other than infernal WC?

It's nothing new and surely everyone has fitted it. As I said in the CC, most of my customers can't understand it so I'm very careful who I recommend it to.

On the timed TRV front, I had a long conversation less than 2 years ago with the UK Honeywell controls product manager. I was trying to get her to bring them into the UK product line so I didn't have to source them myself from Germany.

Amusingly she said there was no demand for their HR40 prog TRV in the UK, and they wouldn't be importing it because it didn't meet building regs. I asked how she could expect a demand when you couldn't buy one.

When I asked her why she thought it didn't meet regs, she got all arsey and terminated our conversation.

Bet she's laughing now :eek: . Even Pegler have beaten her to it, Honeywell have had the thing for years abroad, it even comes with English instructions!

Programmable TRV's, or doubling up on pipework and labour and extra stats and
MOT valves, or will certain hit and run installers ignore as always and we end up no job, as to do it right will put our quotes up to high ?

PVM, out of interest, which part of Part L are you referring to?

I've had a look through the Part L1B document and the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide but can't seem to find what you are referring to?

Or are you talking about Part L1A (for new dwellings only)?

If your a RGI, you will find it in the Worcester gumpf that comes with the Installer magazine we get.

The wooster guy thinks it's a croc of ****e as well......

Page 22 "2.0" Space heating zones of the DBSCG tells you, Dwellings up to 150m2 should have at least 2 zones blah blah ad nauseum.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back