new Part L zone requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting heating upstairs in our house, and I came across something saying that BR Part L requires separate zoning for sleeping areas. I've taken a look at part L, and can't see it mentioned anywhere.

I was planning on fitting three radiators in the three bedrooms, each with a TRV. But this suggests BR require a zone valve + thermostat. Now that's fine, but where do i put it? I don't really want it in a bedroom, as it'll limit heating in the other bedrooms. So the obvious place would be the hallway between bedrooms. This isn't ideal, as there will be no radiator - no need as the wood burner downstairs heats the hall through the chimney.

Can I fit the stat in a room without a radiator? Does the radiator have to not have a TRV fitted?

Sponsored Links
How big is the House? what is the floor area in Mtrs/2?

if only 3 bed semi a TRV on each radiator is all that is required the room stat should be fitted downstairs in the sitting room or hall, the radiator in the same room as the room stat should not be fitted with a room stat.
Currently houses with a floor area exceeding 150Mt/2 require zoning ;)

Sponsored Links
hmm... reading that document, in table 10 it says:
"Dwellings with a total usable floor area up to 150m2 should be divided into at least two space heating zones with independant temperature control, one of which is assigned to the living area."

Oh well... guess we'll have to have 2 zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back