Thoughts on my heating zoning options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970s house with a fairly normal S-Plan setup. There are three bedroom radiators and one bathroom upstairs, fed from the floor void. Downstairs are another four rads (lounge x2, hall, kitchen) with pipes buried in the solid floor. Heating control is by a programmable room stat in the lounge, while no rads have TEVs.

The existing setup is well balanced so that an empty house or with the doors open will heat to suitable temps, even without any TRVs.

The thing that does bother me is that when the lounge gets up to temperature and is maintained by people being in there, the stat will not put the heating on for the rest of the house.

Here are some options and what I think of them:
1. Leave it alone. Obviously easiest, but while redoing my lounge, having the ceilings down and moving a radiator, now is the best opportunity to change if need be.

2. Fit TRVs to all rooms except the hall and move the stat to there. This should solve the problem, though comfort in the lounge could be reduced. Having a thermostat keeps the room at a good temperature but I am not sure whether TRVs will be as effective.

3. Split the house into upstairs and downstairs zones with a S-Plan plus type of layout. I think the second stat would be best in the main bedroom. The landing would be pointless because the only heat would be coming from the hall in the other zone. TRVs would be added to all rads except lounge and main bedroom. It would mean not going to bed cold but the hall may stay chilly in the winter evenings.

4. As 3 but put the hall rad on the upstairs zone, which is do-able without enormous disruption to the remaining buried ground floor pipes. This keeps the 18 degree target hall and bedrooms in the same zone. The opposite problem to 3 is that the hall could be colder in the morning if body heat in the bedroom cuts the call for heat earlier.

5. Go for something flashy such as Honeywell CM Zone. I looked at this a couple of years ago, and had a reason to dismiss it based on controllability though cannot remember the exact reason. However, on the face of it, this should have been the most controllable of all.

2 & 3 are the more conventional approaches but what are peoples thoughts on the others (or are there any better alternatives)?

While I'm asking, what are people's (or regs) views on a separate bathroom zone, with or without a zone valve? I'm aware my boiler needs to keep its existing bypass, but with the no valve and a TRV on the rad, the bathroom rad would heat up whenever either heating zone or hot water are being heated and the TRV is not closed. The latter point would be of benefit when it's not quite cold enough for the normal heating to be on, but the bathroom would be warm enough and the towels would dry.

Sponsored Links
option 2 and fit good quality trv's. All the other ideas are a waste of money

option 2 and fit good quality trv's. All the other ideas are a waste of money
I agree.

edited; forgot you already had a programmer.

If you don't want the bother of running cables to a stat in the hall, go for a wireless such as the Honeywell Y6630D

Provided the rads in the rooms with TRVs are large enough for the heat loss, they will be effective in maintaining the temperature.

If you find that the stat in the hall turns the boiler off before rooms get up to temp, the answer is to close down the valve on the flow a bit at a time until the stat is the last thing to turn off.

Radiators with TRVs still need balancing to work properly. Do it with the head off all TRVs and start with the rad nearest the pump.

I have a 1970s house with a fairly normal S-Plan setup. There are three bedroom radiators and one bathroom upstairs, fed from the floor void. Downstairs are another four rads (lounge x2, hall, kitchen) with pipes buried in the solid floor. Heating control is by a programmable room stat in the lounge, while no rads have TEVs.

The existing setup is well balanced so that an empty house or with the doors open will heat to suitable temps, even without any TRVs.

The thing that does bother me is that when the lounge gets up to temperature and is maintained by people being in there, the stat will not put the heating on for the rest of the house.

Here are some options and what I think of them:
1. Leave it alone. Obviously easiest, but while redoing my lounge, having the ceilings down and moving a radiator, now is the best opportunity to change if need be.

2. Fit TRVs to all rooms except the hall and move the stat to there. This should solve the problem, though comfort in the lounge could be reduced. Having a thermostat keeps the room at a good temperature but I am not sure whether TRVs will be as effective.

3. Split the house into upstairs and downstairs zones with a S-Plan plus type of layout. I think the second stat would be best in the main bedroom. The landing would be pointless because the only heat would be coming from the hall in the other zone. TRVs would be added to all rads except lounge and main bedroom. It would mean not going to bed cold but the hall may stay chilly in the winter evenings.

4. As 3 but put the hall rad on the upstairs zone, which is do-able without enormous disruption to the remaining buried ground floor pipes. This keeps the 18 degree target hall and bedrooms in the same zone. The opposite problem to 3 is that the hall could be colder in the morning if body heat in the bedroom cuts the call for heat earlier.

5. Go for something flashy such as Honeywell CM Zone. I looked at this a couple of years ago, and had a reason to dismiss it based on controllability though cannot remember the exact reason. However, on the face of it, this should have been the most controllable of all.

2 & 3 are the more conventional approaches but what are peoples thoughts on the others (or are there any better alternatives)?

While I'm asking, what are people's (or regs) views on a separate bathroom zone, with or without a zone valve? I'm aware my boiler needs to keep its existing bypass, but with the no valve and a TRV on the rad, the bathroom rad would heat up whenever either heating zone or hot water are being heated and the TRV is not closed. The latter point would be of benefit when it's not quite cold enough for the normal heating to be on, but the bathroom would be warm enough and the towels would dry.

I would go option 3. then you can have heating off or lower temp downstairs in morning week days and warmer on evening. Bedrooms on morning and late evening and differant on weekends all done with 7 day prog room stats. ballsache to programme but once set up :)
With trvs shut down on all upstairs rads you can run upstairs heating in summer to run towel rail for an hour or so. works for me :D

Sponsored Links
2 and 3. forget the CM programmer as it is too complicated for people to understand. a waste of expensive time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back