How bad is this vinyl flooring installation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

2 days ago I had new vinyl floor fitted. There's bubbles near the edges, and a lot of the edges are like in the photos below.

I only noticed how bad it was when a painter came round today to sort the skirting boards out, and said outright the installation is shocking and he can't do his work (which cost me £50 to pay off a very unhappy painter....)

I thought initially maybe just a mistake but the more I look at the work...the more I realise how carelessly it was installed. Please look at the picture of the base of the toilet especially....he wasn't even looking at the installation.

The manager has contacted me, admitted its shocking and wants to rectify it...the problem is that this company installed it this bad in the first place...utter disrespect and takes the p*** in my opinion. I personally now don't think I could trust them in my house to even fix it.

You can see in one of the photos....the vinyls been cut too short and theres a gap in the floor....how is that supposed to be recitfied!? More caulk?!

Is it just me or is the work that bad....also, what should be done? Is it fair to demand a full refund and just have them rip it all up and go elsewhere?

20230223_012124.jpg

Attachments

• 20230223_012133.jpg
    20230223_012133.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 20230223_013054.jpg
    20230223_013054.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20230223_012517.jpg
    20230223_012517.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
It's an absolute disgrace and I'd ask for a full refund plus a bit extra for having to send the painter away.

What I would recommend is to get the skirtings sorted before re-doing the flooring. Trying to cut flooring can be difficult at the best of times but trying to cut an exact trim to damaged surrounds is nigh impossible.
Can you explain/take a long shot photo of the first picture? I'm curious as to where you would get such a big gap and hope it would flatten out to close up.

Sponsored Links
What I would recommend is to get the skirtings sorted before re-doing the flooring. Trying to cut flooring can be difficult at the best of times but trying to cut an exact trim to damaged surrounds is nigh impossible.
I have to agree. If the skirtings area sanded, filled and primed, at least the next floor fitter will have a better shot at doing a good job

OK thanks you for your responses.

I did warn them on a call before they came that it wasn't 100 percent, and said when he got here that if there's any issues, tell me, I understand if there's a cancellation fee and I'll get it rebooked. The fitter said it was fine.

Thank you all for confirming that the work is actually shocking.... this is the response I received from the boss.

What move should I make here?

Thank you once again to you all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230223-115123_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230223-115123_WhatsApp.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 95
Shocking that. Fitter should have scraped the bottom of the skirting and cut the vinyl in flat if the skirtings are bad.
a thin smooth bit of silicone then.

Trimming any edges will not repair the gap in the middle section.
as I said in my earlier post. The skirtings need to be done first, (either replaced, (preferable), or repaired to a standard that gives a nice clean edge flush to the floor), they don't need to be primed and painted but it will save getting any on the NEW lino when it is laid properly.
The NEW lino does need to be acclimatised to the room it is going in, so the manager does have a point about it being moved from a cold place without being allowed to settle. If they delivered it they should have brought it at least the day before, but preferably 2-3 days before and leave it loosely rolled without any ties/tapes around it.
Tell him you are prepared to accept a completely new installation, (new flooring and laid by an experienced fitter), after you have the skirtings attended to first, but you retain the right to reject it with a full refund if it isn't done to an acceptable standard.
I know it's easy for us replying to say that, but if you don't you will be paying for something you are not happy with and will probably rip it up in a few months in frustration. You will then have the whole process to go through again and worry it will be the same fiasco.

Not good but I would just fit lengths of 1/4 round beading to cover the gaps. Just tack it to the skirting board.

They've offered the 2nd as March as the date to come look and offer resolution. The manager/owner himself . Is this reasonable time? Seems a little long to me considering circumstances.

How am I supposed to use the bath if the vinyl is in there with such bad edges? Water ingress etc? I mean will this void any complaint since I'm damaging it myself so to speak.

Also, is there any legal obligation for the company to fit the £50 painters bill or do I just have to take that on the chin?

This has delayed renovations here massively. If I stick to the 2nd I'll have to cancel more work being done on Feb 28th.

Last edited:
They've offered the 2nd as March as the date to come look and offer resolution. The manager/owner himself . Is this reasonable time? Seems a little long to me considering circumstances.
Given that most firms have only a certain pool of staff to call on 4 working days doesn't seem all that bad. Maybe others would disagree

How am I supposed to use the bath if the vinyl is in there with such bad edges? Water ingress etc? I mean will this void any complaint since I'm damaging it myself so to speak.
Put rolled up newspapers or towels around the edges of the room and bathe carefully - if nothing else you don't want to have water running through the ceiling below. I think your guy will have no choice than to agree with the opinions expressed above that the job is crap and that it is their responsibility to sort it out

Also, is there any legal obligation for the company to fit the £50 painters bill or do I just have to take that on the chin?
I'd say that you need introduce that into the discussion fairly early on. Do you have a receipt from the decorator to prove this payment, though? Were it me in your shop manager's position I'd probably offer to do something about that - if not money then maybe an upgraded flooring material, or some other way to sweeten the bad taste this has left in your mouth

At all times try to keep a cool head and not lose your rag. Just state the facts and try not to be overly confrontational - TBH you'll get more out of the situation that way because no one gives their best performance if they have just been verbally assaulted

Last edited by a moderator:
The skirting is being replaced and they will be redoing the floor. Just waiting for an update

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back