How big is too big?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at buying a pallet (approx 7.0m2) of Black Basalt Flamed 600 x 200 x 50mm tiles, it's drastically reduced and seems to be exactly what I need to fill 1.4m either side of an internal wall made up of concrete bricks into an internal corner with a height of 2.4m. and will provide the backdrop for a wood burning stove.
However I am not a tiler, I have dabbled with O.K. results in one or two of our previous bathrooms.
I love the look of the tiles, the price is good, but it's the 50mm thing
My query is:
1st...are these too big for wall use?
2nd...if not, what adhesive would you recommend?
and 3rd...am I getting ideas above my station taking on a job of this size, or if I take my time and follow the rules is it DIY doable. If it is, are there any tips that you can offer or any pitfalls that I should be mindful of.
Thanks for any and all input.

Sponsored Links
I’ve never attempted to stick a paving slab to a wall before :eek: The biggest problem is going to be the weight; at a guess they are going to weigh in excess of 125kg/sqm & there are defined weight limits for tiling onto various substrates e.g. 20 kg/sqm for plaster 40 kg/sqm for conventional render 50+ kg/sqm for heavy duty tile backer board so none of those would be suitable.

You say the walls are "concrete bricks" but what exactly is is & is it covered with anything? Bare brickwork might support the weight but I doubt lightweight blocks will. Additionally, I’m unsure if even powder cement adhesive will support that sort of weight even if you could get the tiles to stay on the wall while it set.

Even if you ascertain if the wall structure will take the weight & be confident the adhesive will hold them up there, I doubt I would attempt it even with my experience. :confused:

Richard C says: I’ve never attempted to stick a paving slab to a wall before

Ha! I never looked at it that way...it's just a slab divided into 3 isn't it. When the tiles are not in front of you it's not always easy to imagine the physical size of it.
Hi Richard, thank you for your prompt response. I would be a fool to ignore such advice and as such am chuffed that I hadn't actually pulled the trigger.
There are lots of good alternatives out there....
A bargain is only a bargain if you are going to benefit from the end result, and I wouldn't want to have the worry with a little one kicking around.
Thanks again :D :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back