How can a diesel be so clean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just playing about with my new Audi A1.....1.6 tdi sport something, around 105 BHP.
This car doesn't qualify for road tax for the first year or so.
3000 miles on the clock now, and absolutely no soot on the inside of the tailpipe at all - not even a deposit on a finger. How on earth does it do that? :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
I don't really know John but the anti pollution equipment is getting mind boggling. My C5 has a prticulate filter and all the associated problems, they work well - when they work well, but the tax is dearer on that than on my 406 Hdi which doesn't have one, the 406 will easily exceed 60mpg the C5 only does about 45, it is a 2.2 mind, I am looking to change it for a 2.0L version, same engine as the 406.

A friend of mine has just bought a diesel A1, he is about 78 and has been driving sports cars up until this year, he has only bought this one because his wife is complaining about getting in and out of it.

Peter

particulate filter system i guess, great things if your car gets a good run a few days a week but very problematic if you only do the shopping run!

Yes, I'm sure the particulate filter will reveal all in time.....!
The shopping run is 12 miles each way, and it gets a 100 mile run each week, usually enough.
I'd be interested to hear what your friend thinks of it Peter.....mine's a 3 door (couldn't afford the 5 door) - 53 MPG (hoped for more), hopeless boot space (the battery is in there) high door / low glass area is something I'm not used to, tall gearing (1st essential for pulling away) and a fairly gruff engine....superb build quality so overall I like the thing.

Sponsored Links
I will see Derek later in the week so shall ask him, he seemed to think he liked it when he first got it, he proudly told me he had bought a diesel having fiercely resisted them all this time, mind you was a diesel mechanic in the marines, I think that probably soured his judgment a bit.

The old Perkins 4/108 engines I used for conversions needed an oil change every 2000 miles and even then sometimes when you took the drain plug out nothing happened, I used to chuck a pint of diesel in before changing it, the contentents of the sump would have made excellent printing ink.

Peter

As always with Audi, it's a little bit of everything combined that makes the ideal package. Those high speed piezo injectors would help with the smoke

But what a lovely first diesel

Having previously had a petrol 1.6 Zafira I up graded to a 1.9 cdti 150 bhp,jesus doesn't it shift,I give it a thrashing once a month over to Cardiff from Devon so I hope that keeps it clean.Wish I had had a diesel sooner.

I saw Derek yeaterday John and asked him about his Audi, couldn't get much out of him though, he says he likes it but still misses his MX5.

Peter

I know this might sound silly, but are you sure its coming out the hole at the back? And not underneath?

I have seen this before on diesel cars with a crome tailpipe.

I saw Derek yeaterday John and asked him about his Audi, couldn't get much out of him though, he says he likes it but still misses his MX5.

Peter

Both cars have fairly high sills, curiously enough - but I've never found it easy getting in and out of an MX!
One thing that I don't like - the wretched stop/start thing - every time you start up, you have to press a switch on the dash to keep the engine running if you are in neutral....I much prefer the engine to stay ticking over.

I know this might sound silly, but are you sure its coming out the hole at the back? And not underneath?

I have seen this before on diesel cars with a crome tailpipe.

I've just checked that out, Paul....the chrome bit is slightly bigger in diameter than the main exhaust (must be that 'sporty' look :p ) but it is one piece with no gaps.

Sponsored Links
Back