How can Building control tell I've made internal alteration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering having an (internal) galleried landing extending by about 2 foot (to allow me to move a door to a new position).

The building is very old, lots of exposed beams that wouldn't meet current standards etc.

My builder says that building regs/control will be required, and that their recommendations are likely to defeat the point of the work (replacing nice old beams etc.)

So does anyone know how can building control tell if I've extended an internal landing by 2 ft? Clearly an extension is obvious if it's been built, but limited internal alterations?

I don't imagine it's worth the risk though, as thinking of selling in a couple of years.

Sponsored Links
Building control are unlikely to know. And if the job is done well, then no-one may know at sale time either

Building control are unlikely to require you to change old beams or not allow fitting of similar ones.

If you are going to do work without b/regs involvement, then it is very important to have a builder who knows what he is doing ... and by the advice given so far, he may not be too clued up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back