How can I fix "delaminating" wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, so our idiot builders' latest f##k-up was to select the most useless planks for the most heavily-trafficked, most visible area of our new wooden floor.

Now this is happening - is there anything we can do? I was wondering if there was some kind of glue/varnish we could apply to bond everything down and coat, and then sand back

Thanks for any help or pointers.

20141001_215327.jpg

20141001_215333.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not really the builders fault, its a problem with the floorboard.

It's de-bonding of the timber layers (shelling), often exasperated by impact or machining.

You could bodge it with some glue and varnish, sanding down could just reveal more layers that will peel away

Not really the builders fault, its a problem with the floorboard.

It's de-bonding of the timber layers (shelling), often exasperated by impact or machining.

You could bodge it with some glue and varnish, sanding down could just reveal more layers that will peel away

Thanks Aron. Any ideas on suitable products?

The reason I blame the builder is because this plank was so clearly a duff one. We've got so much wood available it's ridiculous and his carpenter selects the dodgiest plank for the middle of the flat.

Which glue you use isnt so much of an issue, PVA will do and sets clear. You need to apply some clamping force for it to work properly, lots of weight can be a haphazard way of achieving this.

Any film forming varnish will also slightly soak into the joints, and act as a light bonding agent.

There is a small risk whatever you do won't work though, as there could be several layers of delamination, and you can only physically get some of the first layer.

Sponsored Links
You wanted a wooden floor, you have a wooden floor

It is part of the character of real wood.

Some of us remember splinters from floorboards before we had fully fitted carpets.

You wanted a wooden floor, you have a wooden floor.
Not sure what your point is, but next time you want to buy a car, give me the cash for a Ferrari, and I'll sell you a Kia.

You wanted a car and you'll have a car and (by your rationale) everyone will be happy.

You wanted a wooden floor, you have a wooden floor

It is part of the character of real wood.

Some of us remember splinters from floorboards before we had fully fitted carpets.

Don't talk rubbish.

This is why you grade and sort timber, so you can reject the bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back