How can I free off main stop tap - stuck in off position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to this forum and need a bit of help.
I have had to turn off the main stop tap while refurbishing the kitchen. It hasn't been turned off for years and was quite stiff. When I have come to turn it back on again the handle turns and screws outwards although it is still very stiff. However although the tap is now in the fully open position there is no water coming through.
Has anybody come across this sort of thing before and got any tips, Other than get a plumber?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like spindle as come away from the paddle. Can you turn the mains off outside and strip it down?

Nath

^^^^^^^^ As this poster says,

Or "Big `ammer job"

and hope you dont have the same problem with the outside stop cock !

The spindle may just have loosened off of the jumper. tighten it back down and then turn it half a turn and pull up on it, another half turn and pull again and see if it opens. otherwise it's turn off outside and service or replace

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back