How can I have a decent shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've don e a bit of reading round the problem but can't find definitive answers and I was wondering if someone could help.

I want to have a decent powerful shower.

We live in a 2nd storey flat in London. We have a Remeha Avanta Plus 28c combi boiler (DHW Flow Rate at 35°C Rise – 11.5 l/min). The flat is a medium sized 2 bed. The boiler usually shows about 1 bar of pressure.

The current shower is a mixer affair.

It starts powerful and then slows to a drizzle which regains a bit of power when the shower head is dropped below the taps. This partially regained power continues when the showerhead is put back.

Oddly, the shower gets more powerful if you turn up the temperature.

I'm not after a police water cannon, just something a bit powerful.

What would anyone recommend?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, and am certainly no plumber, but I have my head around the difference between pressure and flow etc because fo the job I'm in.

You say that your shower STARTS OFF fine, but slows to a trickle. this means that you have some STORED PRESSURE in your system, but that the FLOW (to continuously replenish that pressure) is not sufficient.

Either that, or your incoming pressure is sufficient to fill the pipes above your shower (hence you get a short "gravity fed" shower, but the pressure is unable to give you more than a trickle at the eight of your shower head.

Neither of the above have anything to do with your shower.

First step is to establish whether your problem is incoming pressure or incoming flow. These are two different things.

Do you have plenty flow from your kitchen tap? If so, then your problem is not flow into your property, but could still be mains pressure, or flow within your property.

Take the shower head off and put your finger over the end of the hose. Can you hold the water back easily? If so, then the problem is likely to be a pressure problem. If the pressure slowly builds and builds until you can't hold it any more, then you are looking at a flow problem within your property. [i'm guessing by the fact that the shower "starts off" fine, that the shower hose isn't twisted or kinked]

Pressure problem: first step is to call the water board. They are legally obliged to give you 1-bar at the entrance to your house. This will give you a 10m rise or "head" of water. Is your shower head 10m (30ft) above the pavement level? They can come out and measure the pressure at your local access. Mine was 1.25Bar.

I was all set to install a "booster" system and breakout tank to incerase the pressure to my combi boiler, but then, without warning, the incoming pressure rocketed to 3 bar. Water board must have sorted something or pulled a drowned rabbit out of the mains or something like that! So I'm sorted now.

If this is your problem, and the water board can do nothing about it, then you can think about indirectly boosting the mains input. You can't pump directly from the mains to boost the pressure (because this will suck water away from your long suffering neighbours), but if you use the incoming supply to fill a tank (downstairs), then you can pump water from the tank to the combi. Not ideal, but could be the best option.

To resolve a flow problem, you need to understand where the restriction is. try other taps in the house to isolate where you might be getting a resistance to the flow. Are you getting fast flow from your kitchen tap? If so, the it's unlikely to be a flow problem in your property, and more likely a "mains" flow problem. If that's the case, then investigate something called an "accumulator". This will give you a pressurised "cylinder" of cold water inside your house, giving your combi boiler a ready supply until the pressure drops back (from lack of incoming flow to replenish the supply). At a push, you could also use the breakout tank and pump to get the same result. Until you pump all the water out of the tank that is. These solutions will give you a better shower (but not quite so long)

If you get plenty flow in the kitchen, and you've ruled out pressure, then you must have a restriction in your house somwhere. To get to the bottom of this, you need to check the pipes in your house. Do you have a long run of narrow pipe? several metres of 15mm pipe will not do your flow much good, which is why plumbers use 22mm wherever they can, and shorter lengths of 15mm to go to taps etc. Bath taps get 22mm almost right up to the outlet. Similarly, might you have an inline shutoff valve for your shower which is only partially open? (you should probebly have checked for that earlier actually.

I'm afraid I can't give you much more info than that just now. These are the thoughts of a bored engineer, rather than a time served plumber, but these are all the things I'd check for starters.

Failing all that, a local swimming pool is likely as good a place as any to get a decent shower!

Guy

Wow! Thanks mate - that's a lot of stuff to get checking out. Much appreciated.

Check the inlet filters to the mixer for blockages. Particularly the cold one.
That would eplain the higher flow at higher temperatures.

Is the mixer thermostatic (has a 'calibrated' temperature knob)?

Incidentally, the boiler pressure is the pressure of the heating system, and not your hot or cold water pressure. But 1 bar is about right!

Sponsored Links
Simple check whats the cold water pressure like at a tap compared to the shower on full cold ?
..........it should be similar I would suspect partially blocked filters on your shower as previously mentioned.

In fact I'd put money on it, equalised pressure when standing, which gives you that initial spurt which reduces under flow because of a partial blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back