How can I prep this floor ready for carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically I had somebody (a cowboy) come in and re-lay my concrete floor and the screed had the wrong mix. The photos show what I am left with. [The "trench" in the middle of the first pic I plan to fill with latex screed] I have tried to salvage the situation by applying a watered down PVA mix to the floor which seems to have hardened the surface up and stopped it degrading any further. But I don't know what to do now? Will the underlay and the carpet cover up the issue? I was thinking of putting down some latex self levelling screed but will it work or will it be spread too thinly for this? The worse issue of all though is the missus, she won't stop banging on about getting carpet in! Please can somebody advise me...

Sponsored Links
I would prime and use ardex NA on it mate if carpet is going down. Hve you used screeds before?

No, screeds are new to me. I have had a look at a couple of videos online and they seem to just mix up the self levelling compound, pour it out and then use a trowel to thin it/smooth it. Is it really as simple as that?

Sponsored Links
Ha ha yes. Heard that loads of times and turned up at jobs and had to rescreed floors. There is a skill to getting a floor perfect which is what I need with doing more vinyl jobs. But for carpet it won't matter too much. If floor is priming the screed will flow better. Also mix it with a good drill & whisk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back