Sealing a screed for carpet or tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room where a new sand-cement screed was laid some months ago. However the screed is dusting and abrading because its a high traffic area. I had intended to tile the room, but as I am getting the house ready for sale I may not have time and may just put down some cheapish foam-backed carpet.

Is there anything I can seal the screed with which will be suitable for both ceramic tiles and carpeting? I realize that PVA is a no-no.

Harry

Sponsored Links
Would water-based self-leveling compound be OK?

The sealer needs to be able to withstand wear until I get the room finished, then be suitable either for tiles or carpet.

Any advice appreciated!

Water based screed will be fine if the base is dry. You still need to seal the floor first tho. And why do you think pva is a no no!

Thanks for the reply,

The floor has already been screeded, and its dry. What I need is a sealer to protect the screed from wear and dusting.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use PVA on a floor if you are going to tile it because the adhesive only sticks to the PVA and not to the screed, and therefore the the tiles can come lose.

Harry

Sponsored Links
i personally dont use a pva primer. I use primers ready mixed for the application being installed. There are some adhesives and levelling compounds that dont need primer depending on the type of concrete/screed base your fitting on. These bases will not be dusty! Now im not king of info on hard tile adhesives but can give advice on almost all other floorings and floor preps. I would always prime every time. If you dont you end up sticking to dust and a week top surface. The idea of primer on absorbent surfaces is that it sinks into the surface and bonds the top surface together. If priming a dusty floor you want to water down the pva primer so it sinks in. It may need a couple of coats until it stops sucking in the primer. But you also dont want to leave pools of primer on the top. This is when you do end up sticking just to the primer. You need to judge it correct so that the adhesive/compound etc you install next will still be able to transfer into the subfloor slightly.

Thanks mattysupra,

Do you know of a primer or sealer that I can put down now, but will be OK for either tiles or carpet when I decide which I am going to lay?

pva will be o.k. I like to use a Uzin pe 360. but you wont find this in the shops. You need a proper flooring supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back