Screed over floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My kitchen floor is concrete with a thin screed on which I laid ceramic tiles some four years ago. At the time I worked around kitchen units etc (I was skint and saving a few quid) but now I am fitting a full new kitchen and changing the layout,

As part of the remodel I want to to use cushion flooring and don't really know what to do with the floor.

I have removed a couple of tiles but it took an age because after I had chiped the tile away (which took long enough) the tile cement was still stuck to the floor. Getting this up actually lifted the screed in the end.

So my new plan is to remove the one remaining loose tile, fill the untiled areas with a cement screed up to the same level as the tiles and then screed over the top of everything.

Is this a viable option? Are there any alternatives?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,
With a lot of other materials you would have to be cautious about laying on top of the old tiles, but cushioned vinyl hides a multitude of sins and you should have no problem with laying on top.
Use latex screed...not a water based mix. Mix a small batch of thick screed and in-fill where the tiles are missing. Then mix a lighter, creamy batch and wash over the floor. If your tiles are fairly level than scrape your trowel over the floor to apply a very thin coat on the surface of the tiles while infilling the channels. It can often be the case that the thicker the screeed is the more likely it is to break loose from the surface over time. A thin coat sticks better.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back