How can i re position this double socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all, Im going to put a double wardrobe where the socket currently is so i need to place it more central (where ive circled) so i can put the wardrobe there.

bear with me here, can i spur off the socket that is there, chase a new socket in the place i need it and blank off the current double socket and then plasterboard over it, then the wardrobe will cover it anyway.

thanks
a>

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Getting rid of a socket completely tends to cause issues with existing cable routes. Cables need to be in "safe zones" and if an accessory goes away so do the safe zones it creates.

If the socket is on the ring then I would just leave it where it is and spur your new socket off it.

You will need to joint both cables to extend them both separately over to the new socket position, chop out for a new double box and the cables covered with channel, then patch the plaster. You need to then add a double blanking plate where the original socket was located, plus reconnect the socket in the new position. You must have the entire circuit isolated whilst you this!

Alternatively, if the cables rise up from the floor - you may be able to lift the floor boards, chop the cables out from the plaster, then divert them back up from below, at the new position.

You will need to joint both cables to extend them both separately over to the new socket position, chop out for a new double box and the cables covered with channel, then patch
No you don’t. A single cable can be brought over as long as all three cables are joined. The socket then becomes a spur off the ring.

Sponsored Links
Is this a free-standing wardrobe, or a fitted wardrobe?

Doing a horizontal chase, and flushing in a new box, seems the simple way.

How many cables at the existing socket?

What size breaker protects this circuit at the consumer unit?

thanks, all yeah not sure if i did a good enough example of explaining what i planned, but yeah spur off from the original double as the end of the wardrobe will be against that wall, it will be fixed to the wall but its a double ikea pax wardrobe

I cant lift the floorboards or the flooring on top of it i m afraid

I havent taken the box out the wall yet, wardrobe arrives saturday so i will check the how many wires, currently the bedroom only has one more double further up the wall.

bad photo shop, but something like this is what the wardrobe will look like

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 143
I havent taken the box out the wall yet, wardrobe arrives saturday so i will check the how many wires, currently the bedroom only has one more double further up the wall.

If you are not removing the cables completely out of the wall, then the box must remain there with a double blanking plate and for two very good reasons - first to make the joint in there accessible and secondly as a marker, so it is obvious there might be cables buried in that wall.

use the existing socket as the junction and spur off to the new socket. then if the room gets altered the origina is available again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back