How can I remove emulsion from plasterboard ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Redecorating bathroom ceiling after my children steamed off a section above the shower (2 years after expensive refit!) One third of the ceiling paint fell off or just came off easily with scraper revealing bare plasterboard ( The painter clearly did not use a mist coat- learned that from DIYnot forum!) but the rest is much more difficult. Any tricks for getting off this stubborn part?

I can't try deliberately steaming up the bathroom since I have already part finished the painting. I put two mist coats and a coat of dulux bathroom on the part above the shower and thought i could just paint over the rest of the ceiling on the original paint to blend it in ( Dulux bathroom paint has a sheen) when I found that when applying the paint to the rest of the ceiling it was peeling off! So now I'm stuck with removing the rest of the paint down to the bare plaster and many sections are very difficult to remove.

Help any ideas or it is just scrape and sandpaper!

Sponsored Links
groucho.

On a plasterboard substrate I think that sanding would be the safer option, 80 grit should breakthrough the existing paintwork without being to much difficulty. "Take care not to damage the plasterboard."

When you are happy with the result, coat the ceiling with either an oil based primer sealer or undercoat before you apply your choosen product.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back