How can I remove these fence posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I remove these concrete fence posts they are embedded in my concrete driveway.

fench posts concrete.PNG

I am not comfortable using a jack hammer nor a large circular saw.

I have this small saw: DeWalt DCS571N, would it be possible to use it to cut then out of place?

When putting new fence posts in, I am considering surface mounting wooden fence posts but unsure as to durability.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an angle grinder or SDS drill? If so you could chop it off near the base with a grinder and you can get sds chisel bits that would allow you to chip out the last bit and concrete.

Goes without saying a proper breaker is less effort than an SDS. Your saw looks more suited for woodwork.

If you do break out the concrete plug you'll have readymade holes for new posts. I've used fencemate durapost for a couple of fences concreted in and they are a lot lighter than concrete and don't rot like wood. Bolted down won't be as strong as concreted in.

Why remove them? It’s not like they would rot.
Wood will.

if you must, use a breaker/sds to break the concrete base and use the post as a lever.
Remove all rubble from the hole before replacing with fresh concrete (wet the existing concrete)
I would certainly refit concrete posts

Do you want to remove them and install slotted posts?
Otherwise, why go to the trouble.
Clearly your panels need replacing and it would be simpler, and cheaper, to do just that.

Sponsored Links
I would leave them if they're sturdy and straight.
Then you can fix 3x2 batons on both sides and use the holes to bolt them through.
And there you have a great support for fence panels (although they would probably need cutting.
If you want to fit panels straight in (assuming the posts are at the correct distance to each other) bolt fence clips through the holes.
You can fill the holes with wood for support so the fence clips won't wobble.

Another thing to consider is the damage to your neighbour's drive. I don't think those posts will come out without accumulating collatoral damage.

Are you 100% absolutely completely positive that you own them?

Good point. Usually the 'fair side' of a fence, is installed so the owner has the better side. In the photo, the fair side is to the left, is that your neighbour?

An easy way to remove the posts, is to simply hit them hard with a sledge hammer, so they shatter at the base. Once shattered, the steel reinforcing will be exposed and can be cut flush with an angle grinder at ground level. A bit of tidying up, and your bolt down steel sockets for the new fence can be fitted on top.

If the OP can handle that saw he has then I'm sure an angle grinder would be easy peasy.

Do you have an angle grinder or SDS drill? If so you could chop it off near the base with a grinder and you can get sds chisel bits that would allow you to chip out the last bit and concrete.

Goes without saying a proper breaker is less effort than an SDS. Your saw looks more suited for woodwork.

If you do break out the concrete plug you'll have readymade holes for new posts. I've used fencemate durapost for a couple of fences concreted in and they are a lot lighter than concrete and don't rot like wood. Bolted down won't be as strong as concreted in.

I think these are the tools you rightly specified I shall need. Thank you.

Do you want to remove them and install slotted posts?
Otherwise, why go to the trouble.
Clearly your panels need replacing and it would be simpler, and cheaper, to do just that.

The first post as you enter driveway is lopsided I think when they were lifting the skip many many moons ago it could have knocked it over. I rather just renew everything and make it all look uniform. Finally, the rounded top and speckled posts look ugly in comparison to the newer posts we had installed in the back garden.

Another thing to consider is the damage to your neighbour's drive. I don't think those posts will come out without accumulating collatoral damage.

You are absolutely right, I didn't consider this. I noticed the neighbours driveway border blocks are loose due to difference in height with my driveway and over the years the sand from under the driveway blocks has depleted leaving loose blocks. Maybe I can lift the blocks and place them aside.

Few years ago, I ended up paying a contractor to do fence the same side in the back garden, and derive from that, that it is 'my side'.
The neighbours are HMO I haven't seen landlord for almost a decade. Landlord's house is in a state of affairs.

If the OP can handle that saw he has then I'm sure an angle grinder would be easy peasy.

Yeah well maybe. Given the disruption likely to neighbours driveway, I reckon it may be best to call a professional contractor in. Maybe along with that, I may as well get the uneven and cracked driveway concrete sorted. Oh Boy, don't expect much in the way of repairs when buying property from retired couple downsizing, especially an old Victorian. Things are never as easy as they appear at first blush.

I would leave them if they're sturdy and straight.
Then you can fix 3x2 batons on both sides and use the holes to bolt them through.
And there you have a great support for fence panels (although they would probably need cutting.
If you want to fit panels straight in (assuming the posts are at the correct distance to each other) bolt fence clips through the holes.
You can fill the holes with wood for support so the fence clips won't wobble.

I never thought to use fence clips through the mortices instead of using arris rail mortice fence brackets which admittedly are a nightmare to deal with.
Using clips as you described would indeed save me from having to install arris rails and batons.
The biggest issue I have a lopsided concrete post as you enter the driveway and that is proving to be a showstopper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back