How can I remove this fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd like to remove this fireplace and replace in the next year or so and replace with a wood burning stove connected to the heating system. It has an electric fire in at the moment the previous owner installed but I can pull it out to a traditional fireplace behind but we've never lit it ourselves, the electric fire is just sitting in the opening.

The fireplace seems to be really good quality and real solid not sure if its real marble or polished stone or something, we've no idea how to remove it or should we get professionals? I was thinking to knock off the plaster along the wall next to it to try and free it up but I'm sure it's probably held on with an adhesive as well?

Apologies the picture isn't the greatest I've got a 3 year old currently eating breakfast next to it lol just decided to post as I was looking up at it.

Would like to block it up and plaster behind it possibly tiles and maybe a media wall or something to give us an extra bit of space just to give you an idea what we'd like to achieve.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_100413.jpg
    IMG_20220123_100413.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
Surrounds are usually either hooked on, or use a small bracket to secure to the wall. The weight would then hold it in place. Be careful though, as whatever the material, it’s likely to be heavy.

yes that’ll most likely be bonded to the wall.
I’ve removed similar and had to get an old saw blade in behind it. Nearly killed me.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Have you looked into the possibility of fitting an inset wood burner and maybe keeping your surround.

Edit: https://abell.co.uk/acr-tenbury-t40...7-ZsoWHPoR0KCbhqvDFoNKfrrStCYlGhoCGwcQAvD_BwE

Thanks for the replies.

Talking to my partner we thought that this was a nice suggestion but we hoped to sell the fireplace and put the money towards buying the stove and as you can see from the pics although it's not that noticeable unless your in the room removing the fireplace would give us that little bit of extra width as it's a bit narrow due to our sofa.

Also a more simplistic fireplace would be nicer. We're also removing coving around the edges and a ceiling rose with a light ect.

Here are a few more pics with inside the fireplace too. Any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_100413.jpg
    IMG_20220123_100413.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220123_144904.jpg
    IMG_20220123_144904.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220123_144907.jpg
    IMG_20220123_144907.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20220123_144924.jpg
    IMG_20220123_144924.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 93
Yes that is very similar isn't it. I'm not sure what the resale on something like this even is to be honest or who do I even ring to remove it, a fireplace company?
I'm afraid I can't be of much help.
But a call to a local fireplace company, or an architectural salvager, may not hurt to start with? :)

how old is the house?

if it is an original feature, removing it would be very unfavourable.

Just a thought, its possible that whatever you get for the surround could be eaten by the extra cost of making good behind it.
With regard to the narrow space, you still need a fireproof hearth in front to comply with regs

Last edited:
Is this woodburner sketch triggered by recent fuel price increases. Whatever, the cost of the wet woodburner is a fairly small part of the spend. You'll need a flue liner fitted- that'll be a grand or more, mainly for access. Assuming you have wet heating at the moment (gas boiler?) you'll need some sort of interface to connect the dual heat sources- low loss header as a minimum, ideally (to maximise heat capture from the woodburner) a thermal store- £500 plus to buy, ?£££ to install and commission.
You'll also want a loading valve on the woodburner (so it doesn't rot from condensation), you'll need a heatloss radiator and a certain amount of control gear (if you're doing it from scratch maybe best to get a store with the gubbins already attached) and again you'll need a real heating engineer to put it all in, not a boiler slinger.
Not trying to put you off but the scheme will be a chunk of change....plus if you are thinking about buying firewood then you'll not save any money (price/kWh of seasoned timber is still higher than gas). If you've got access to unlimited free timber then the sums do start to work. Eventually. And yes a real fire is really nice.

Just a thought, its possible that whatever you get for the surround could be eaten by the extra cost of making good behind it.
With regard to the narrow space, you still need a fireproof hearth in front to comply with regs

The way it is currently I know it's hard to see with the dark picture, behind is an open fire. It would need updated a little I believe and the chimney sweeped and some fire proofing perhaps as if I look between the fire place and the wall I can see the insulation so needs some attention I'd believe.

Is this woodburner sketch triggered by recent fuel price increases. Whatever, the cost of the wet woodburner is a fairly small part of the spend. You'll need a flue liner fitted- that'll be a grand or more, mainly for access. Assuming you have wet heating at the moment (gas boiler?) you'll need some sort of interface to connect the dual heat sources- low loss header as a minimum, ideally (to maximise heat capture from the woodburner) a thermal store- £500 plus to buy, ?£££ to install and commission.
You'll also want a loading valve on the woodburner (so it doesn't rot from condensation), you'll need a heatloss radiator and a certain amount of control gear (if you're doing it from scratch maybe best to get a store with the gubbins already attached) and again you'll need a real heating engineer to put it all in, not a boiler slinger.
Not trying to put you off but the scheme will be a chunk of change....plus if you are thinking about buying firewood then you'll not save any money (price/kWh of seasoned timber is still higher than gas). If you've got access to unlimited free timber then the sums do start to work. Eventually. And yes a real fire is really nice.

Hi, we have an oil heating system I'm in Northern Ireland, oil is much more common here. The fire is already connected to a back boiler to heat the water, I don't believe it works as the pump is shot but I was hoping it wouldn't be too much to get it up and running and hoped the flu was OK and a good chimney sweep would sort it.

But we aren't close to getting it done yet I just wanted to get some info on what would be needed so I can work towards it

Ah, OK. Does the oil boiler heat the hot water as well or is the only other heat source an immersion heater? (Woodburner just heating hot water is a much simpler proposition). If the back boiler is still connected to the cylinder and still has water in it it should heat the cylinder without the pump running (essential safety feature that). If it doesn't have water in it or it is no longer connected to the cylinder, don't light the fire unless the boiler is absolutely definitely vented to free air (otherwise kaboom).
Brick flue isn't really adequate for a woodburner- the exhaust gasses are much hotter and chimney fires are to be avoided, they can be very destructive and very difficult to extinguish once on fire. Certainly in England you'd need either a twinwall flue liner or a solid lining (concrete or clay pipes apparently, never seen one) to satisfy building regulations. I'm sure there are woodburner retailers in NI, get in touch with one or 2 and have a chat. Hoping isn't a great plan for a heating system, especially wet woodburners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back