How can I tidy this up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

As per title? I'm getting leaks around the 15mm nuts on the small length of copper connected to the isolation valve. The obvious is to replace the isolation valve, replace the pipe and nuts and replace flexi. But that's the obvious to a novice.

What would you pros do?

IMG_0239.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nuts don't look correct for the fittings either, so I wonder if they've been over tightened too?

Replace everything downstream of the valve and assemble the new stuff correctly.

Nuts don't look correct for the fittings either, so I wonder if they've been over tightened too?

Replace everything downstream of the valve and assemble the new stuff correctly.

Thanks.

When you say that nuts don't look correct, can you elaborate?

Sponsored Links
Top one is brass against the Flexi's chrome. One on the valve outlet looks different from its mate.

Whilst they will probably be fine operationally, it just casts the whole assembly in the same bodged light as the mess of the PTFE.

Top one is brass against the Flexi's chrome. One on the valve outlet looks different from its mate.

Whilst they will probably be fine operationally, it just casts the whole assembly in the same bodged light as the mess of the PTFE.

What about a flexi straight to pipe coming up from floor? Any issues with doing this?

Switch off water, disconnect flexi from toilet, undo bottom nut on valve, new flexi with iso built in. Couple of wraps of tape around the olive only on the bottom pipe, connect flexi to toilet, hand tight then a 1/4 turn, then reconnect iso end back onto pipe, tighten by hand then nip it up with tools.

Switch off water, disconnect flexi from toilet, undo bottom nut on valve, new flexi with iso built in. Couple of wraps of tape around the olive only on the bottom pipe, connect flexi to toilet, hand tight then a 1/4 turn, then reconnect iso end back onto pipe, tighten by hand then nip it up with tools.

Thanks mate. I know the after pic looks as if the pipe is being pulled to the left due to flexi being tight but that isn't the case. It's just the angle of the picture.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_27_at_23_26_45.png

Lol....naaaaaahhh, the flexi is too tight and it's pulling the pipe over :sneaky: Either that or that straight wall, the level floor and the panel to the right are all out a mile ;)

Lol....naaaaaahhh, the flexi is too tight and it's pulling the pipe over :sneaky: Either that or that straight wall, the level floor and the panel to the right are all out a mile ;)

LOL there's sufficient play on the flexi though. The copper pipe coming up through the floor has a slight amount of play on it. What do you advise then, adding a coupler at the cistern end to add a bit of length? The 500mm flexi is far too big.

Thanks mate. I know the after pic looks as if the pipe is being pulled to the left due to flexi being tight but that isn't the case. It's just the angle of the picture.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_27_at_23_26_45.png

It is still an eyesore.

What decorator feels responsible for putting right dodgy plumbing ? Remember that if something leaks and causes damage, the punter will be chasing YOU.
Does your decorators insurance cover you for plumbing disasters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back