How can I tighten sink waste behind pedestal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I can't remove my sink pedestal as it's too tight against the sink.

I need to at least tighten the inline trap.
Or at worst replace it.

I was thinking of trying a strap wrench to try and get in there.

If not I'm thinking smash the pedestal to gain access and then try to get a similar sized pedestal.

Does that sound like the best way of doing it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. The most common arrangement is for the basin to be bolted to the wall as well as resting on the pedestal.
2. If yours is done this way, it may be difficult to loosen the pedestal because there is no movement in the basin owing to the bolts.
3. If this is the case consider loosening the bolts (or nuts on studs) and see if that gives enough wriggle room to shift the pedestal forward. Don't take it right out, it must still support the basin.
4. Also be aware that:
4.1 The basin may be siliconed to the wall, as well as, or instead of, fixed with bolts. You would need to cut through the silicone.
4.2 The basin may also be fastened to the pedestal with silicone. Again you would need to cut through it.
5. If you go for the smashing the pedestal approach, I'd try and find a replacement pedestal first.

Pedestal will be shaped to the basin, chances are you'd struggle to find something to fit, unless you can find an exact replacement, so may end up replacing both. I'd be looking at removing the Basin first, and go from there.

If it’s just the trap then these are usually hand tight. If it’s the slotted waste then sometimes suitably sized pump pliers or footprint wrench can do it.

Sponsored Links
Peds usually have bottle traps which require no more than hand tight - why not post a pic.

It may just as well be easier to take the whole thing apart then put it back together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back