it all seemed so easy

hi1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep it did. Bathroom sink not draining down. The sink is pedestal mounted with the usual rats nest of pipes plug up and down thingy and no room for human hand.

Anyway its a rented property and not wanting anyone to come out in the current clime crack on and get the waste trap off, empty of whatever shes put down there back on.

Get the thing off finally not much in there to be fair. Straight out of the waste a 90' glued together 32mm waste disappearing off down into the HOLLOW pedestal.

So cant get anything down the waste to probe so put the waste back on and give up. Yep waste falls down inside pedestal,

Cant get hand in because theres access at top third of pedestal but not at the bottom.

Looking down the plug hole the waste can be seen nicely stuck.

So off with the sink. Where are the bolts holding to the wall. Surely its not being held by silicon on the pedestal. No its not its got silicon all over the back sticking it to the tiles.

B*llocks.

So get the carving knife and start trying to cut the silicon away. Goes o.k , the corners seem free lets put a screwdriver in there to increase the gap.

Why has not one but two large chips detached themselves from the top edge of the sink.

Anyway after several hours cutting away at this stuff I sense a weakening. Using all main strength and risking a stroke I managed to wrench the sink from the tiled wall, almost, a large section of the tile came away from the wall still attached to the sink, but hey its off.

Lets now enter into the world of find a way to repair two large chips in the sink.

Christ how much, what if it doesn't go well should I use the money to get a new sink

Lets now enter the world of hunt the sink. I found a sink, it looks just the same, its 500mm across, the one off is approaching 600mm. Have sinks shrunk in the last ten years?

Anyway please look at the sink on the link. https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/park-lane-ryther-full-pedestal-500mm-1-taphole-bathroom-sink-6084-25707

If you recognise it from ten years ago and know who made it please please tell me who and more importantly where I can get one from.

Buy the smaller sink and say its always been there your honour.

Well yes apart from the tile without a center which that part isn't a problem the problem are the several cracks radiating out which although covered by the original sink would be some what noticeable to even the most careless letting agent.

Unless you know where I can get a replacement tile, grubby off grey...

Paragraph spacing added by mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Not sure what this post is about tbh, but some basins will have reduced in size for saving on water. The link is this to the one you have or are replacing?

Hi the link shows the new one same design shape but 100mm less width. Theres a date stamp on the original 2010 but helpfully no one wants to own up to making it or what type it might be. As it looks like the plumbworld link one I suspect that its one of theirs but...

Sponsored Links
Should put this post in DIY disasters section!
I think as long as you put something similar back you should get away with it. Unless it's a pristine property they might not even notice as long as it's the right colour.
I'd recommend getting something bigger rather than the same size, makes it easier to cover the damage. IKEA do some big basins with drawers underneath so in the worst case get one of those once the place is open again and mount it slightly higher.

I'm sure the landlord won't object as long as there is a reasonable basin back in it's place. If you're reasonable about too, mentioning an accident then hopefully your landlord will be reasonable. Worst case is they want to replace it for another one.

I'd suggest a quick text just now explaining that the basin got cracked and you'll happily replace it rather than they having to do it.

I'm sure the landlord won't object

The landlord will absolutely go nuts and who can blame them, a tenant should always call the landlord or letting agent first. Then if it is an emergency and they can not contact any of them then and only then a tradesman could be called to make the repair. But as I said ONLY for emergency work.

Andy

Indeed, which is why I said say to the LL - "you'll happily replace it" and not "I've already replaced it"

Quite agree the comms should go out before the work was started but it's a bit late for that now, it's time for damage limitation ;)

A blocked basin is not an emergency, it could of waited until contact was made, the tenant took it on themselves to dismantle/remove the pipework and basin.

Andy

Again, totally agree but they're beyond that point now.

It should have been done a different way, the LL should always be contacted first to allow them to decide the best course but it's done now, so what's the best way around it?

Anyway its a rented property and not wanting anyone to come out in the current clime

Explain this to the landlord. Worst case you'll be in the same position and have to replace it yourself, best case the landlord will have insurance and it might all be covered.

I can't image the landlord using their own insurance for a problem that the tenant has caused. This will be a charge to the tenant or will come out of the deposit.

When I do a call out to a rented property, my invoice will indicate what was the problem and what caused it, eg blocked toilet/stack caused by tenant dropping a pair of nail scissors into the bowl and then flushing. I've had 2 like this in the past month, the invoice was sent to the letting agent who in turn make the tenant.

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back