How can I treat the penetrating damp(rainfall) from ext wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a damp patch on my internal wall about half way up my stairs, so in between ground and 1st floor of my early 1900 terraced house. The patch appeared a month ago after some severe weather. I inspected the outside wall, the rendering is sound and there are no windows in the area, however the masonry paint looks pretty old, so I redid the whole back and side of the house and even though it has rained since the interior wall has dried out much to my delight...............that was until yesterday when again we have had recent severe downpours and the damp patch has returned (not as bad)

I have tried to look at this logically and cannot come to any other conclusion apart from the water is getting in straight through the masonry paint, render, brickwork, however that does seem improbable.

I did use the Fortress masonry stuff, which I know now is B& poo's own make and I regret that decision, but should it protect against a direct downpour?

Could I add coat of something like johnsons water seal over the top as extra protection or is this a waste of time as I already have the masonry paint on? would it adhere to the paint?

any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

cheers

Sponsored Links
chimney was removed and was at the front of the house but good thinking.

the front of the house roof and back roof meet above the problem and there is a gulley in between, however i have been up there when its raining and all the water goes into the gutter and under the tiles is dry. even if water was leaking behind i would have thought the damp would then run all the way down the internal wall, not just a patch half way down.

could i just paint over the whole side with a bitumen paint and then put masonry paint over the top again or does the wall need to breathe?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back