How close to build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a hard standing next to my house and want to put a workshop there: maximum size possible. A lean-to is not an option as I'm building under permitted development regulations. Is there a minimum distance I should leave between the shed wall and the house wall? My worry is that with limited air circulation I may cause damp problems in the house wall? Is this the case? My plan is a construction with timber frame on a damp-proofed concrete base, with PVC shiplap so I don't need to worry about maintenance in a restricted space. The workshop will be insulated and have a flat sloping roof with gutter only on one edge. Will this work or is there a more sensible option for the building material? I've seen lean-to brick extensions built very close together on the back of terraced houses just 100-200mmm gap. Is this an acceptable limit for all buildings or do both buildings have to be brick for this to work? Any advice on construction techniques in restricted spaces would be a great help.

Sponsored Links
If the gap between the buildings is that tight then you need to build a lean to. Or at least use the house wall as one of the shed walls. Ortherwise you are just creating more work and will end up with a smaller shed.

But once you join you technically need Building Regs, it is also no longer considered to be an outbuilding for the purposes of planning and needs to meet the criteria for an extension.

Theoretically the gap can be say 25mm or less if practicable to build, think fascias overhanging at the roof etc) It is possible to make that wall as a pre-finished wall and then slide it into position, I have also seen sizeable sheds built say 600mm from their intended position and then slid into position.

Its hard to say if you will encounter problems in the future, for complete piece of mind when building proper extensions I advise people to go as low as about 150mm, wide enough to allow some decent airflow, do the fascias etc and get a broom etc down to sweep out anything that may end up in there.

Sponsored Links
[code:1] ___
_//_\\
," //".
/ \
_/ |
(.-,--. |
/o/ o \ /
\_\ / /\/\
(__`--' ._)
/ `-. |
( ,`-. |
`-,--\_ ) |-.
_`.__.' ,-' \
|\ ) _.-' |
i-\.'\ ,--+.
.' .' \,-'/ \
/ / / \
7_| | |
|/ "i.___.j"
/ | |\
/ | | \
/ | | |
| | | |
|____ | |-i'
| """"----""| | |
\ ,-' |/
`. `-, |
|`-._ / /| |\ \
| `-. `' | ||`-'
| | `-'|
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
)`-.___| |
.'`-.____)`-.___.-'(
.' .'-._____.-i
/ .' |h
`-------/ . |j
`--------' "--'w

[/code:1]

Theoretically the gap can be say 25mm or less if practicable to build

Just wondering if anyone has a source for this 25mm figure as I've seen it mentioned a few times but never seen a definitive source.
Our council have just refused a certificate of lawfulness for an outbuilding with a 150mm gap, so I'm looking for sufficient information to appeal.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back