How deep donfooting need to be for a garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - looking to build a 3 brick high retaining wall - intended it to be 2 wide eithba solider course on the top - it will be approx 8m long

How deep should I go with the footings ??

It is to replace existing sleeper holding back grass, although I’m going to move grass towards house (sleepers have been replaced a couple of years back and have never moved )

Attachments

• 3786B83E-F839-4828-8C21-CB85A855ACC3.jpeg
    3786B83E-F839-4828-8C21-CB85A855ACC3.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
Scrape off the top soil a nd a bit more, normally about 250-300mm

Sponsored Links
Dogs will just fall asleep anywhere, this one does seem a bit stiff though

Never mind the dog.... Why has the house at the bottom of the garden got fences for windows?

The problem with construction is that there's a reason why the construction industry is broken down into many job roles. Maybe design for garden walls is not as important but with anything, there's a lot to it.

Frost heave is very important as well as soil type. When you drive around and notice garden walls and gate pillars leaning, it's because the foundations weren't deep enough for the soil type. The ground freezes and the wall/pillar leans a quarter of a millimetre. When it thaws, it seldom goes back, hence the lean over the years and hence the difference in quotes between someone knowing what they're doing as opposed to a cheap quote. In the long term, initial cheap quotes cost more money. Engineering brick with 3:1 morter is technically a DPC on garden walls, so I always start with 3 courses of engineering brick. DPC under copings is important, especially on parapet walls. Copings often detach because the vast majority of builders do not put the correct additive in the mortar.

I can't remember the exact depth for frost heave but I always go 2 concrete blocks and an engineering brick below ground level, which is 525mm. I think frost level is about 400mm to 450mm. In the link I've attached, some designs include insulation!! Put it this way, my walls don't move.

https://www.advancedfoundationtechn...ing-Foundations-Protections-against-frost.pdf

You said this is just a 3 brick course retaining wall with a soldier course on top. Do you mean brick on edge coping (not brick on end ! ) ?
The height is hardly anything. I would say you wouldn't need to go any deeper than the 300mm max woody stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back