Spec for a low garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am slightly raising an area of my garden which will have artificial grass. I intend to edge the raised area with a low wall. The total height of the raised area is 320mm which I could do with 4 rows of bricks or 3 rows with a half brick soldier course on top.

What I'd like to know is, is a single row of bricks going to be sufficient to retain this amount of earth and aggregate base? And if so, how deep a footing should I use?

If not, how should it be done?

Sponsored Links
I’d double up and go for a 1 brick thick wall. And throw in some weep vents for good measure.

By the time you have your hardcore and sand compacted behind the wall the weight over time will probably start to belly out

6” (150mm) Found should see you all right

A single skin is fine, as its holding nothing back at that height. More important would be the depth below ground which should be at least as deep as it is high and then a suitable foundation strip

Sponsored Links
#
What I'd like to know is, is a single row of bricks going to be sufficient to retain this amount of earth and aggregate base? And if so, how deep a footing should I use?
Make sure you chose a durable FFL rated brick. It will be subject to a lot of abuse down there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back