How did the builders fix this edging in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an extension built recently and the builders put a path with gravel and edging around the outside. I'm intrigued by how they fixed the edging into the ground and want to copy it for some garden DIY, but I can't quite figure it out. I did ask them but don't quite get it.

Picture attached. I gather they drove some kind of long coach bolt/screw through into the ground, then I guess they ground off the head. I can't see any marks on the wood though so it was a neat job if so.

Anyone know/guess how they did this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200521_133301.jpg
    20200521_133301.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 232
Sponsored Links
It's an expensive but permanent solution.
Buy M10 stainless steel threaded bars, cut them into 33cm pieces (3 per length), place a nut at the top and hammer it in the ground.
Depending on the ground this might be easy or near impossible.
To make it easier if the ground is too hard, drill an 8mm pilot hole with a long drill bit, then hammer the threaded bars in.
Put the wood resting on the pieces sticking out (10cm, less or more depending on wood size), mark the wood by gently tapping or with a pencil.
Drill 10mm holes to correct depth in the wood.
Use resin to fix everything in place.
Many years later you can reuse the same threaded bars and just replace the rotten wood.

Thanks, that sounds very plausible. I imagine whatever they used as bar they had to hand from the extension, but it would be eBay etc for me!

It's an expensive but permanent solution.
Buy M10 stainless steel threaded bars, cut them into 33cm pieces (3 per length), place a nut at the top and hammer it in the ground.
Depending on the ground this might be easy or near impossible.
To make it easier if the ground is too hard, drill an 8mm pilot hole with a long drill bit, then hammer the threaded bars in.
Put the wood resting on the pieces sticking out (10cm, less or more depending on wood size), mark the wood by gently tapping or with a pencil.
Drill 10mm holes to correct depth in the wood.
Use resin to fix everything in place.
Many years later you can reuse the same threaded bars and just replace the rotten wood.

a builder is very likely to have some scrap rebar.

you can buy stainless studding on ebay cut to length.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back