How difficult would this be to achieve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking some advice on achieving a similar result in our own kitchen.

I am looking to add some kind of splash back (tiled or similar). Then installing two shelves. Very similar dimensions to the attached photo.

The slight difference is the shelves would only have two walls to attach two (and not three as pictured). So stability may need to be considered.

How difficult would this be to an amateur? Any advice?

2015-07-23 22.27.28.png

Sponsored Links
Does the person in question have the patience? :)

Few points to help you plan.

1: the wood shelves would have to be carefully painted with the correct procedure, to protect from the condensation that might build up from washing dishes etc.

2: using the wrong width and thickness might give way to the shelves buckling and 'bellying'

3: once again, steam could loosen the tiles if not grouted with quality grout.

As far as doing it, it's more attention to detail that will set the time that it takes you, than it being difficult.

Does the person in question have the patience?

Some patience but don't want it all crashing down!

How many days would this take an amateur versus a professional?

What type of wood is required here? Where should I begin my research? (What should I Google...)

Painting the wood shelves, well you can do that in the garage?

I'd suggest you try making a floating shelf?

Normal softwood, with two coats of primer, two coats of gloss, or whatever finish you want. Preferably oil based, to keep out the moisture near the taps.

Timescale, I'd allocate two to three days to tile the area of this size, and one day to grout and clean up the surface area.

Professional? Varies? If he does the drilling first, and tiling after? Two days. Drilling first would mean you don't have to worry about the tiles falling off when your drilling into the walls putting shelves up!

Personally I'd recommend you try out your hand at tiling in another small part of your house and see how it goes, at least that way you don't have to take all your tiles back to the depot if you can't achieve a good result?

If you find tiling a struggle, go for a glass splashback.

Spalshback glass installation? Try this

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I don't have access to many tools, so suspect I would need to someone to cut the shelf for me. Also, if we were to fix the shelf to a side wall and kitchen cupboard, would we be able to install a thinner looking floating shelf or normal shelf with hidden brackets?

The splash back looks easiest however not sure if we could just install a splash back next to the sink; or install throughout the kitchen. If we installed more spashbacks we would need to cut them to allow for the electric plugs.... hmmm. May need to think this one through.

As far as cutting your shelving goes, the local B&Q timber cutting people would be happy to help chop off the ends to the mm.

The stronger the mounting, the more weight the shelves can take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back