Shelving under stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am waiting to move into my first house and am naturally looking on Pinterest for ideas. I have a door from my kitchen leading to under the stairs... I have seen a couple of pictures on Pinterest showing people with similar spaces converting it into a pantry! I've seen a tutorial where shelves have been put up on the flat wall but I particularly like this look... https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/AZmRS8HCYSorCS95O4in94f4LWNfuMh7X7txPa6aHfdeHwqrzfWphMY/

How difficult would this be to do? Admittedly I am a DIY novice but I've bought a bit of a fixer-upper and we all have to start somewhere! Do you have any advice on how I would achieve these corner shelves against the slope?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
wont let me see much off that without registering
i would use the space more wisely as you will only be using about half the space
or the middle will get filled up with the usual crud and the wall section will be off limited use

Try this, B-A:

Shelves Under Stairs 001_01.jpg

Looks like a simple 2 x 1 PSE softwood framing job fixed to the walls around the perimeter and with an 18mm chipboard or MDF shelf on top. The upright pieces could be MDF, edged chipboard or plywood or even 2 x 1in PSE softwood. The actual shelf frames are what we call ladder frames. They are butted, pilot drilled, countersunk and screwed together. They can be fixed at the backs and one end into the wall:

Understairs Frame 001_01.JPG

But the "wagging end" needs some form of support such as a vertical panel or post which runs to the floor:

Understairs Frame 001_02.JPG

The sheet material cladding goes on top of the framing:

Understairs Frame 001_03.JPG

and the same technique of cladding with plywood, MDF or even hardboard can be used to box-in the uprights (with the addition of a batten on the wall opposite the upright to carry the ends of the cladding):

Understairs Frame 001_04.JPG

Understairs Frame 001_05.JPG

Do that on both sides and it's a simple job to make an infill frame to screw between the already fitted frames on either side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only shelve one side as the narrow space makes it difficult to use , most are around 900mm wide so you have barely room to turn round.

Sponsored Links
How difficult would this be to do?
Easy peasy. Wood is easy to cut, glue and screw. Shelves are basically rectangular. Good practice for you.

(Personally I'd just use solid pine boards rather than faff about making frames and sticking bits of MDF on, but that's me)

I was responding to the OP's original requirement - which TBH looks like a frame with cladding. One plus point of using a 2 x 1 or 2 x frame is that when properly done it can carry a tremendous load with minimal flexing, as opposed to using, say 18mm MDF or MFC (Contiboard) which tends to sag and bow under even moderate loads when supported only on brackets. MFC has the additional advantage of providing a wipe clean surface - useful in some environments

I was responding to the OP's original requirement - which TBH looks like a frame with cladding.
Yes. I just get the feeling the OP wants some shelves and some newb experience. Not necessarily shelves just like that.

MFC has the additional advantage of providing a wipe clean surface - useful in some environments
I painted my pantry shelves with gloss. Same difference.

Last edited:
MFC has the additional advantage of providing a wipe clean surface - useful in some environments
I painted my pantry shelves with gloss. Same difference.
Were that indeed the case kitchen manufacturers would still be painting kitchen units like they did in the 1950s. Melamine has a lot of advantages over gloss paint as well as coming in handy sheet form (pre-edged from some suppliers)

Depends on what you do in your pantry. I brew beer in mine - and for that a painted surface would be pretty useless, whereas melamine just wipes clean....

Because fermentation produces pressure there are sometimes small leaks of various fluids from stoppers (often wort). I don't get the chancre to look in on it every day so that can be left on the shelf for a couple of days - and wort (unfermented beer) has the ability to dissolve stitching and even some synthetic soles in work boots so it can certainly damage some paints (not to mention dragging heavy vessels on and off shelves). Laminate and even melamine coating are more resistant to the stuff. Also easier to clean-up when a bottled beer continues to ferment and explodes......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back