How do council work out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am back for advice. I recently applied to local council to let me have a gable end ( originally angled to match with main roof) to my extension also approval for two skylights on the main roof and approval for solar thermal panels on the extension roof.

At the time of application (under permitted development) I was advised I don't need permission for skylights and solar panels.

I have received response to my application. They say my development exceeds 70m2 therefore a full planning application is required. No reference to skylights and solar panels. I wanted to do my bit to conserve energy but the council don't seem to be bothered.

This afternoon I paid council a visit the lady in reception worked out the total area of development including space in the extension roof as 67cu meters.

My devlopment is 4.4mX3.6m (Downstairs) 3.4mX3.6m (upstairs) the roof area is 3.4mX3.6m (This volume area will be less with angle at end).

I am not sure what the council is getting at. Could someone please help me out. I am way behind my project with personal problems as well as recent bad weather.

Sponsored Links
not wanting to sound alkward but why not ask the council? since it is they that are saying no

Unfortunately you appear to be a victim of the planning system, when applying in the first place they may well have given you the impression that a full ap should not be nec, however anyone with experience of the planning system will tell you that you can never assume you will get your permission until you get that permission in your hand. Its impossible for a planner to guarantee you'll get permission for something.

Get yourself along to the next monthly planning meeting at your local council offices where the councillors on the planning committee will decide on the latest batch of applications that have been deemed to require the wisdom of the full planning committee; as well as having an entertaining evening, you will see what your up against & get an inkling on how it all works!

Sponsored Links
Make sure the 67 m3 you arrive at is based on the gross external face of the proposal.

Also , if the extension is within 2m of the boundary the 70m3 doesnt come into it anyway due to its height

Basecoat said:
Hi All

I am back for advice. I recently applied to local council to let me have a gable end ( originally angled to match with main roof) to my extension also approval for two skylights on the main roof and approval for solar thermal panels on the extension roof.

At the time of application (under permitted development) I was advised I don't need permission for skylights and solar panels.

I have received response to my application. They say my development exceeds 70m2 therefore a full planning application is required. No reference to skylights and solar panels. I wanted to do my bit to conserve energy but the council don't seem to be bothered.

This afternoon I paid council a visit the lady in reception worked out the total area of development including space in the extension roof as 67cu meters.

My devlopment is 4.4mX3.6m (Downstairs) 3.4mX3.6m (upstairs) the roof area is 3.4mX3.6m (This volume area will be less with angle at end).

I am not sure what the council is getting at. Could someone please help me out. I am way behind my project with personal problems as well as recent bad weather.

Hi All

I spoke to the guy who dealt with my original application this morning. He said don't submit new application. Council will certainly reject it on basis of your neighbours haven't got gable ends on their extensions.

The only good emerged from the phone call is that I don't need permission for skylights and solar panels. Why wasn't this mentioned on the letter I received. It was probably an idiot who dealt with it. I am not submitting another application. I won't take this as solmn word. I need this in writing.

I am going to carry on as per my original plan. The council won't let me do my bit for the environment. The council can't be setting a good example.

I have also received a letter from local councillor informing me that an application has been lodged (part 2 story, part single story rear extension and porch to front). The property is in my street but a fair distance away. I assume he has involved himself on behalf of a client therefore needs supporting. I am thinking of writing to him to let him know the way the council has dealt with my application. What do you all think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back