How do I bring up a garage door threshold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to make up 8-10mm to close the gap between the bottom of the door (side hinged) and the threshold. I'm wondering what material I should be using to do this that won't break up with vehicle traffic but will allow me to make a smooth finish. Or should I be going for some kind of compound?

many thanks,
S.

Sponsored Links
Stick a fillet on the bottom of the door (or a cover strip) on the face of it).
Other than that you'd need some sort of epoxy compound, don't even think about self levelling compound or a thin screed, they won't work.

Yeah that sort of thing. Have a good read of the data sheets for minimum thickness required. Still think you'd be better shimming under the door

Sponsored Links
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but thought I should share my experiences for others benefit. My attempt with the Epoxyset 105 over the week-end was a total disaster. Maybe it was partly my fault. It's three-part with some aggregate, and then two solutions that you mix together for the epoxy.

My mistake was not reading any of the feedback comments, which explained that if you follow the instructions and mix in all the aggregate you'll end up with an unworkable mix. This was the case for me. I just about got it troweled into place but couldn't get a smooth finish and it looked like sh*t, so I hacked it off next day. Full refund from Toolstation but I'm back to square one.

Why not just a rubber type garage door seal?

Either a D profile that fits on the floor, or a 7 section that fits to the door?

Brush strip on the bottom? I have quite a large gap under my doors (about 20mm) because they open inward and the floor slopes up from the door. The strips work really well - from Toolstation.
IMG_20180918_215207034.jpg

Unfortunately neither of those are going to work for me as it's so uneven. I'll just try again with epoxy, maybe a different type. I'll get there in the end, don't worry.

It's because our driveway is just about long enough for 2 cars - but outward opening doors would not be able to open without hitting them. And I wanted side hinged doors (although they are actually an old up and over cut in half in a frame made of old bed iron).
IMG_20180921_172453395.jpg

It's because our driveway is just about long enough for 2 cars - but outward opening doors would not be able to open without hitting them. And I wanted side hinged doors (although they are actually an old up and over cut in half in a frame made of old bed iron).
Like your style - and the black block paving - just had mine done, all black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back