Help needed with new door Threshold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I have some advice on how to fill this new door threshold please?

Installers have bolted the frame to the concrete base, which is about 50-60mm under the current floor level (the red painted area at the bottom of the picture). They've also added a DPC to the bottom of the door frame which has then been folded downwards over the threshold.

Either side of the door are two further areas above which is glazing. They've put in plastic panels at the base of these to stop ingress of water, etc.

The whole bottom of the door and these two areas either side currently let in rainwater, but seeing as how we will be bringing up the outside area with a step I don't think this is a long term problem.

My question is, how do I fill this threshold area to bring it up level to the floor?

I thought of cutting and laying a DPM over the whole area and then screeding, but it wouldn't be level because of the metal fixings, and doesn't a DPM need to be level to avoid cracking? So instead, could I just get a deep latex filler over the DPM instead, which should avoid this problem. I am assuming that there is a DPM under the current concrete base of course.

Any help appreciated!

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You need to get the installers back. No door frame should let in water. Despite what you say about installing steps or whatever, the frame perimeter should be weatherproof or it will let in water in the future.

For the floor, if there is a DPM below the slab, have those installers properly sealed this under the cill? If not, water will migrate under the frame and into the slab.

You could apply a liquid DPM, but if water is penetrating under the frame it will easily travel that 300mm or so under anything you put in that section of floor.

And make sure those bolts are stainless steel whatever you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back