How do I change Front break calipars ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Iveco daily 3510 box camper that desperatly requires new fron calipars. If anyone can guide me through this then I would be very greatful. I already have replacements but would like to do the job myself rather then spend the last of my money with the local garage. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hello ricsworld, the first thing to do is make sure that that the vehicle is on level and sold ground, chock the rear wheels as well as putting the handbrake firmly on. Loosen the wheelnuts slightly then Jack up the front end and put axle stands under the the front end and let the jack down, make sure that the van is safe before you start removing the wheels. When you are sure the van will not slip, remove both wheels. Now clamp off the front flexible brake hose using a proper tool if you have one, do not use mole grips as they will damage the hose. If you don't have a hose clamp find a length of wood that you can press down the brake pedal and the place the other end on something sold, this will stop the fluid from leaking, remove the brake pipe from the caliper then remove the caliper retaining bolts and remove the caliper. Do one side at a time then if you are not sure you can refer to the other side. If the front flexible hose fits striaght onto the caliper with a banjo fitting and a bolt there will be 2 copper washers one either side of the banjo, these will need either replacing or annealing, to do this you have to heat up the washers with either a gas cooker flame or a blowlamp until they are red hot then let then cool down. It is a good time now the check the condition of the front flexible hose to make sure that the rubber is not cracking or the metal parts are not badly rusted. If every thing is OK the fit the new caliper, tighten up the bolts there is usually a torque setting for these bolts. fit the pads, refit the brake pipe, remove the hose clamp and bleed the caliper, I would bleed quite a lot of fluid out, these gets rid of the old fluid. Try the brake pedal and there should be very little travel, if this is the case that is one side done. Do the other side just the same, then get someone to press the brake pedal very hard and check for leaks and that the pedal does not creep down, if every thing is OK refit the wheels, lower the van onto the floor, tighten the wheelnuts top up the brake fluid. Now it's time to test the brakes, before you set off pump the brake pedal a few time to make sure you have a good firm pedal then dive slowly on a quiet road and try a few stops if the van stops in a straight line and with good deceleration then give yourself a pat on the back. The job will only take you slightly longer to do than it took me to type it out.
Hope this helps Johnwr

Just as I was hoping, a not too head screwing job. I am going to start working in it this evening. I'll keep you posted as to how i get on. This is better then a Haynes Manual!!!!!!!!!1

Ric

Sponsored Links
Hello ricsworld,
thank you for the reply, if you have any problems I will try and help if I can.
regards Johnwr

Back