How do I connect these wires to the wall light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a wall light to connect up to the wall in a newly built extension. The electrician left two grey cables sticking out of the wall for this purpose.
The two grey cables are I assume on a loop, the wires inside the grey cable are live and are covered up with a blue electrical tape. So I will obviously turn the electricity off at the mains to remove the blue tape first.

How do I connect these wires to the wall light?

Will I expect a live and neutral wire behind the blue tape, and if so do I simply connect the two blues together connect it to the neutral port and then connect the two live together and connect these to the live port or ?

Apart from these two grey cables sticking out of the wall there is a separate on/off light switch a few feet away which will be used to switch the new wall light off and on.

Sponsored Links
Talk to the electrician. The cables could be looped or they could be switch cable and supply cable. Either way they should not have been left live, so there should be a conection to make somewhere.

One cable will be live and neutral, the other will be live and switchline from the switch. Your light connects to neutral and switchline, it will also need an earth connection if ts a class 1 fitting

You can't say that for sure. There may be more than one fitting, and the supplies need to loop in and out of each. The live loop and switch wiring may well be elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Connect the browns together. Your light connects to the two blues.

Is there just one wall light point in the room?

Are the cables connected to a connector block?
If so, where does each wire connect to?

Is there just one wall light point in the room?

Are the cables connected to a connector block?
If so, where does each wire connect to?

....and

At the light switch for the wall light: how many cables are there?
What colour wires are on which terminals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back