How do I convert old threaded steel pipe to 22mm copper??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having a 'mare and would appreciate some advice.

I had a problem with my cold water feed from the tank and traced it to a dodgy stopcock just below my tank. The stopcock was part of the vertical steel (i assume) pipe that ran from the tank and it has threaded joins. I cut it out and intended to convert to 22mm copper to add in another stopcock or lever valve. I thought I would have no problem using 28mm compression fittings on the steel but turns out the steel has a 26mm diameter and the fittings are way too loose. I also had a 1 inch to 22mm solder fitting which I tried the 1 inch end on the pipe and it also seems too loose.

I'm no plumber just a confident enough diy'er, so does anyone know how I can go from this 26 mm steel to my 22mm copper and save myself having to pay for a pro?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You will have to either remove the steel pipe back to the next threaded joint and use a Male or Femle iron.

Or - and I wouldn't trust it on a water main, but still - got to a good plumbers merchant and ask for the appropriate Primo fit transition coupling.

Or, re thread the steel pipe.

Or pay someone.

Remember, confidence means nothing. Competence is everything.

I'm with dan either rethread it and use a female iron or get someone else to do it, i've never used a tranistion couplin but they are designed for mains water if i remember correctly

Thanks Dan. Just nipped into a Plumbcentre and they'd never heard of Primofit!! Muppets.

I have a Plumb base and a PTS nearby which I'll try also.

Otherwise it looks like getting in a pro.

Confidence and ignorance in equal measure usually gets me by!

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

If these primo fit couplings are designed for mains pressure will they not be fine for the pressure generated from my tank, which I'm assuming is considerably less?

Only time we used one (primofit) on a mains pipe (1/2") it blew off over night. Never got to the bottom of why as it was fitted by the book, and was too busy at the time to investigate much further.

Used them a few times on low pressure water supplies (sub 1 bar) with no problems.

Never used Philmac on anything other than plastic and copper.

Those Philmac double ended repair joiners look the part. I'll take a length of the steel and 22mm copper to PTS tomorrow and have a play around. Hopefully they stock them; it would save me a hell of a lot of time and money and the missus might cheer up.

I watched the video and they say that they are fine for steel, I suppose only time will tell .... the voice over guy had a very confident tone to his voice do I'll trust him!

Dan: Where do you go to get your Philmac fittings?

I have got both from Grahams, although they struggled with Primofit due to the part numbers not matching on their system - so I went to BSS IIRC.

Cheers,

I'll have a ring around in the morning and update the thread tomorrow if succesful.

My experience with Plumbase is that they dont hold much actually in stock.

Even ordering they dont seem to live in the real world and seem to think 10 days is a reasonable time to get a part.

Not much good if the apprentice is waiting with his finger over the leaking pipe!

Other than the Scotish Islands, for Philmac specials no Grafton branch (Plumbase, Buildbase or Selco) will be more than working 3 days delivery.

Apathy seems to be rampant throughout all the nationals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back