How do I disguise this.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of plaster boarding my self build but I have hit a snag. I am just doing the stairwell and I have this timber that is bolted to the wall. Its the timber that the joists hang off and protrudes about 2 inches from the wall.

I have cut the bolts off and was planning to plaster board over but it will still protrude do I have an alternative ?

I guess I should batten out the wall on ground and first floor so I can plasterboard right over leaving a straight vertical wall but it’s so much more work.

2B612E97-A46D-426F-8797-C879CCF3522F.jpeg

Attachments

• 2BAB4DE6-505B-4151-8F17-27C5DC774CE3.jpeg
    2BAB4DE6-505B-4151-8F17-27C5DC774CE3.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t cut the bolts off. I would pack off the timber so it is square and easier to deal with.
up to you if you build a structure all the way down or just around the timber.

personally, unless you want a smooth wall I would live with a neat square box.

As above, box it in. If it's at a useful height and you can spare the width, make it big enough to use as a shelf?

I wouldn’t cut the bolts off. I would pack off the timber so it is square and easier to deal with.
up to you if you build a structure all the way down or just around the timber.

personally, unless you want a smooth wall I would live with a neat square box.
Ah sounds like I am on the right track. I had to cut the bolts back as they were far too long so I cut them just before the nut.

Sponsored Links
Should have been avoided at design stage , you could use insulated plasterboard and cut away insulation at base to cover .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back