How do i drain my heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a Worcester combi boiler around 6 years old, radiators about 11 years old, i noticed in one radiator (when i took it off to paint) black water and tiny bits of dirt.

I want to flush the system with fernox cleaner and once all good, add fernox protector. I have 10 radiators.
Do i drain system from the actual boiler, then the radiators or one or both?

I have 3 radiators downstairs with drain off's, if that makes a difference.?

The recent radiator that i had in the new extension always seems hot at the top, warm at the bottom, its brand new, ive noticed if i turn one radiator off in that room, that gets hotter.....
Is it normal?

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is higher than the ground floor rads, there should be a drain cock on the boiler. Its worth draining all down and removing radiators in turn, to give them a good flush out outdoors with a hose, both forwards and reverse flow, until they run clean.

Boiler is downstairs.
Im not sure if i drain the rads do i need do it from boiler or the rads themselves, as 3 rads have drain offs.
Water comes out clean, unless i tip the rad on its side, then black comes out.

If 3 rads have a drain off.... Do all 3 need draining separately?

Sponsored Links
Boiler is downstairs.
Im not sure if i drain the rads do i need do it from boiler or the rads themselves, as 3 rads have drain offs.
Water comes out clean, unless i tip the rad on its side, then black comes out.

Drain from all possible drain points.

All 3 drain points off rads and boiler then.
Thanks for the help mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back